Author Topic: Ireland birthplace of Joseph McGee  (Read 2729 times)

Offline jdrjem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland birthplace of Joseph McGee
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Joseph McGee was born in County Wicklow abt. 1827. He was a Methodist, so non-conforming. He emigrated to Wellington County, Arthur Township (near Guelph), Ontario, Canada in 1857 and married Susan Maccrae (McCrae) of Scotland. Joseph's. They had eight children including a son Joseph who married Martha Peavoy and subsequently Mary Jackson. Joseph died at a young age of 44 and there is no information on cause or place of death.
I would be interested in any advice on how to locate Joseph's birthplace and identify his ancestors.
Thanks

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland birthplace of Joseph McGee
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Methodism was slow to become established as a separate denomination in Ireland (because many wished to retain the link with the Church of Ireland). It was the 1870s before all Methodists in Ireland routinely baptised and married in their own churches. For a baptism in 1827 or thereabouts, I doubt there will be any Methodist records. It’s most likely that Joseph was baptised in the Church of Ireland. (You could check with the historian at Edgehill Theological College in Belfast who will know if there are any Methodist baptisms in Co Wicklow in the 1820s).

Having said that you need a bit more information to identify the right Joseph. It’s a common name and if you find one in church records you need to be able to cross reference it to some other source. Do you have a marriage cert for Joseph which gives his parents names?
Elwyn

Offline jdrjem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland birthplace of Joseph McGee
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 02:16 BST (UK) »
Elwyn, thank you for your thoughtful reply. Unfortunately, there is little information about Joseph's past other than the County Wicklow connection and his being a Methodist. I will follow up with Edgehill Theological College. Thank you.