Author Topic: John ROBB - Where was the Groom?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Mary Lea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John ROBB - Where was the Groom?
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
John ROBB and Christina THOMSON (my Great Grandmother) were married in Bonhill on the 29/3/1851. The census for 1851 was taken the following day. According to the census Christina THOMSON is still at home living with her widowed Mother in Jamestown Village and unmarried! There were two children from the marriage, John ROBB born May 1851 and Isabella in 1853. Christina gave birth to the first of two illegitimate daughters in 1856.  On the 1861 census her status is 'widow'.  I have been unable to find a death for John ROBB.  According to Isabella's marriage certificate her deceased Father's occupation was a 'Mason' I would appreciate any suggestions.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John ROBB - Where was the Groom?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 07:59 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has a John Rob b 1831 Ireland (on Anc he is born Kilbarchan, Renfrew) listed as unmarried and a mason lodging at Manse Street, Renfrew???

Kay

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a death for a John Robb on 10 June 1853 in Abbey,Renfrew on Scotlands people,which is a pay per view site. Perhaps this is him?? Kim

Offline Mary Lea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay and Kim,
I have checked the death of John Robb (1853) on Scotlandspeople but it was a 10 month old child who died of 'teething'.

I will check out John Robb on ancestry, although I am doubtful about him - although he is a Mason,
he would have been married the day before the census was taken!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 15 06:15 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind that the census forms were delivered some time before the census night.
And that many people filled them in in advance!

Although the census forms were supposed to include only the names of "each person who abode in the home on the Night of 30th March, 1851".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary Lea

Have you looked at the actual image from Parish Register of what you have for 29 March? If not, it may be that the date you have was for the Banns to the marriage, not the marriage itself. See for background www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&406 

If it was the actual marriage as confirmed by the image, then jury still out  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kay is probably correct about the John Rob in 1851 census as he is living with Samuel & Jane Thomson and children. Samuel is probably an uncle to Christina and maybe even how John and Christina met. If this is him, there is a birth of a John to Richard Robb & Jean Gillies in Greenock on 3 March 1829(baptised in 8 March). The father is listed as a builder, so maybe?? Also, if this is your John then I found the following;

1841 census:
Innerkip st.,Greenock West

Jean Robb  age 35 born Lanark  head
May Robb age 13
John Robb age 11 born Renfrewshire
Alexander Robb age 9
Jean Robb age 3
William Gillies age 25

*funny enough the father Richard age 35 is listed on Innerkip St.,Greenock West in the 1841 census and yet is not recorded with his family.

There are 4 deaths for John Robb in England between 1853 and 1861. Could John have gone there for work?? There are 2 trees on ancestry that say he died in Dumbarton in 1859 but I looked at death and this John is listed age 27,labourer & single.The informant is his uncle so I assume he knows his marital status.Hope something may help,Kim

Offline Mary Lea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 15 06:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Kay and Kim,
Re the 1851 census - Good suggestion and interesting to see John Rob is a Mason. However, this is not the John Rob I am interested in. Having done all the research into the family of Christina Thomson, there is no connection.

John Robb born in 1829 is a possibility, which I will follow up.

I will check the deaths mentioned in England.   It is a case of tying up the loose ends in the family tree and wondering what happened to him.