Author Topic: Daniel WALTON convict to NSW  (Read 2517 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel WALTON convict to NSW
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
     I hope someone maybe able to help me with my enquiry please.  I am trying to link up information I have gathered on Daniel WALTON a convict who was sent here to NSW Australia on the “Prince of Orange” convict ship in 1821. 

Daniel was convicted at the Oxford Assize on the 21st of July 1819 for burglary-sentenced to death and this was reprieved to a life sentence.  Firstly would there possibly be any mention of this in the local newspapers of the time. Also could he have been placed on a Hulk or would he have been imprisoned before transportation possibly?

From the records here it does state that Daniel was indeed born in Warwickshire and from that information I did find this:-

Daniel Walton in the Warwickshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and
Burials, 1535-1812
Name:    Daniel Walton
Baptism Date:    9 Jun 1793
Baptism Place:    Ladbroke, Warwickshire, England
Father:    Richd Walton
Mother:    Sarah Walton

Source Citation
Warwickshire County Record Office; Warwick, England; Warwickshire Anglican
Registers; Roll: Engl/2/1027; Document Reference: DRO 85/4
Source Information
Ancestry.com. Warwickshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials,
1535-1812 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.,
Original data: Warwickshire Anglican Registers. Warwick, England:
Warwickshire County Record Office.

This does seem to add up with Daniels death in 1879 with a father listed as Richard, birth place Warwickshire, mother not listed age 85.  Is there anything that you can think of that could possibly link it all together.  I’m hoping that as he was sentenced to death that there may be some mention of this somewhere.  Any help is very much appreciated.  Kindest Regards Dianna from Sydney

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel WALTON convict to NSW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are about 5 reports of his trial and sentencing in the Newspapers on Find My Past  but I haven't got a sub so can't see how helpful they are.
The Hulk Register has him on the Leviathan at Portsmouth 21.7.1819
Daniel Walton 25 burglary at Oxford azzises.
It seems he was also tried at Warwick earlier in the year for horse stealing Lent 1819 but found not guilty.
Sorry to not be of more help .For what it's worth I do think you're on the right track.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ruskimic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
hi Haney, I just found your request for help. I am a direct descendant of Daniel Walton and Catherine Leary. Daniel was born in Ladbroke,for some reason and thank god it was on the back of his ticket of leave it gave his birth place as Ladbroke.Recordfor a Daniel son of Richard Walton and Sarah from Ladbroke around the same time as his birth was estimated. He married another Convict Sarah Leary. Sarah it was noted on her convict records was a widow and had 3 children. None of which came with her to Australia. Have not been able to find out what happened to them unfortunately. if you need any more info please reply. All the best Kim.

Offline desmondpotts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
hi Haney, I just found your request for help. I am a direct descendant of Daniel Walton and Catherine Leary. Daniel was born in Ladbroke,for some reason and thank god it was on the back of his ticket of leave it gave his birth place as Ladbroke.Recordfor a Daniel son of Richard Walton and Sarah from Ladbroke around the same time as his birth was estimated. He married another Convict Sarah Leary. Sarah it was noted on her convict records was a widow and had 3 children. None of which came with her to Australia. Have not been able to find out what happened to them unfortunately. if you need any more info please reply. All the best Kim.
Hi Kim have you found any more on Daniel Walton be glad to know - des potts