Author Topic: Russell - Fluke  (Read 6832 times)

Offline rewphoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russell - Fluke
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to locate the people who went before the marriage of William Russell and Anne-Jane fluke in 1852 in Donagh please? William's father was Robert Russell (born c 1810) and Anne-Jane's father was Samuel Fluke. Any help with either family would be welcomed.

William and Anne-Jane's son Robert was born in 1854 and left Ireland for Scotland in the 1870's. Were there other offspring?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Russell - Fluke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
I can't see a likely death for William Russell in Co. Monaghan in the Irish civil registration index- could William and/or wife Ann Jane also moved to Scotland?

For reference, here's the extracted marriage-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGCV-953
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is the transcript of a will of Samuel Fluke of Derryhoosh, Donagh, Monaghan in PRONI. See http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:50 BST (UK) »

... There is the transcript of a will of Samuel Fluke of Derryhoosh, Donagh, Monaghan in PRONI.

Possibly the civil record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT8R-7MR

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
The Watsons attended Errigal Truagh C of I

Marriage:  18th Feb1864 Samuel Fluke son, Robert Fluke, Derryhee, Donagh  Married Eliza Jane Watson dau, Robert Watson, Drumbirn  witnesses William Mulligan  + William Russell  Gardiner R.Young
Bapt: 30th Dec 1864 Thomas son, Samuel  + Eliza Jane Fluke (nee Watson), Drumbirn

Glennan Pres:

Marriage:  14th Dec 1852  William Russell son, Robert Russell of Emy   married  Ann Jane Fluke dau, Samuel Fluke, Derryhoosh  witnesses Thomas Johnston  + William Wilson  Rev James  M. Field

Births:
25th Dec 1853  Robert son, William Russell + Ann Jane Fluke, Emy, Donagh
2nd April 1855 Elizabeth dau, William Russell + Ann Jane Fluke, Emy, Donagh
Bapt; 28th Dec 1856 Samuel son, William Russell  + Ann Jane Fluke, Emy, Donagh
10th Oct 1858 Margaret dau, William Russell  + Ann Jane Fluke, Emy, Donagh

8th Sept 1854 Eliza Fluke dau, Samuel Fluke of Derryhoosh married James Gillanders (stonemason)  son, Robert Gillanders, Bellanagall, Monaghan Parish witnesses William Clarke  + John Clarke

4th Dec 1857 Robert Johnstone son, John Johnstone of Tullycallick   married Elizabeth Fluke dau,  Samuel Fluke, Derryhoosh witnesses Johnston Walker  + Samuel Fluke

23rd June 1859 John McElnay (widower)  son, Robert McElnay, Killymarly, Monaghan  Parish   married Margaret Fluke dau, Samuel Fluke of Derryhoosh witnesses William Russell  + Robert McElnay 

14th Feb1868 William Morton son, David Morton, Tullyblety, Aghaloo, Co. Tyrone   married  Isabella Fluke dau, Samuel Fluke of Derryhoosh witnesses Robert McCrum+ William Wilson

Donagh:
30th Jan 1873 John Alexander  son of Simpson Alexander, Aghafin, Eglish Parish,  married  Mary Fluke dau, Samuel Fluke of Derryhoosh witnessed by John Lawson  + Robert Russell
25th Jan1874  Samuel son, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
26th Dec1875 Isabella dau, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
21st Dec 1877   Margaret Jane dau, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
3rd Mar  1880  Mary Ann dau, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
3rd Oct 1882 Elizabeth dau, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
14thMay1885 Sarah dau, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
10th Mar 1888 Robert John son, John Alexander  +   Mary Fluke, Derryhoosh, Donagh
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
As the surname Fluke is relatively rare in Ireland I wonder if there are any connections to "my" Fluke lot who hail from Armagh (they farmed at Ballydoo in County Armagh) but who spread throughout Ireland.

Possiby by coincidence, there is also a Russel & Monaghan connection as Ellen Fluke daughter of Robert Fluke and Elizabeth Elliott married Samuel Russell and had at least 4 children all born in Monaghan (Robert Russel born 1873, Ellen Jane born 1876,  Eliza born 1878 & Samuel born 1880)

Offline rewphoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for your response. Without doubt there are connections between your lot and my lot, although finding your way to the specific connection is difficult. The Flukes and the Russells seem to have had an affinity for each other because there are a number of marriages between the families. This of course makes it harder to trace back who married who. I need a bigger bit of paper and a bigger wall!!

I have the family you set out (Samuel and Ellen and the children) but you have helped me since I didn't know Ellen's father's name. I just need to find out where he came from.

I also have a great deal of info on the Flukes of Ballydoo and once again it's trying to make the connections.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have the family you set out (Samuel and Ellen and the children) but you have helped me since I didn't know Ellen's father's name. I just need to find out where he came from.

Robert Fluke (Ellens father) was the son of Robert Fluke (his wife was Ellen or Eleanor) ...... I don't know where he came from but he died in Ballydoo in April 1855.

I also have a great deal of info on the Flukes of Ballydoo and once again it's trying to make the connections.

Thanks again for your help.

I would be interested in comparing notes .... my email contact is under my avatar

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.