Author Topic: Charles Jackson unable to locate record of death.  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Jane_K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Jackson unable to locate record of death.
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
I really hope someone can help me, I am trying to find when my Great Great Grandfather Charles Jackson died. He was born about 1856 in Curdworth, Warwickshire to Charles and Martha Jackson (nee Morris). According to the census he's a servant, living in Middleton, Warwickshire in 1871. In around 1877 he married Mary A Hunt in Lichfield, Staffordshire. In the 1881 census he was living with his wife and niece Ann Mary (soon to be adopted as their daughter) in a village called Borrowash in the parish of Spondon, Derbyshire. In 1891 he was living in Grendon, Warwickshire with his wife and Nephew Edward Butler. Unfortunately after this he just vanishes, his wife Mary is living in Lea Marston, Warwickshire in 1901 it shows her on the census as being married not widowed. Mary died in 1904 in Lea Marston. His daughter Ann Mary lived in Grendon in 1891 and in Repton, Derbyshire in 1901. Ann married William Tranter in November 1903 and on the marriage certificate it says the Charles is deceased.

I have posted this query before and had no luck, so I figured I'd give it one last try and post it in counties Charles had a connection to. I know he was only my Great Grandmother's adoptive father but he's the only one she had as her birth certificate doesn't show a father's name. I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Tranter, Palmer, McAleese, Wallace, Bolton, Bowman

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Jackson unable to locate record of death.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Mary died in 1904 in Lea Marston.

Does it give her as widow on her death certificate?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
I don't have Mary's death certificate but on her adoptive daughter's marriage record it says under father- Charles Jackson (Deceased).

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
Looking in both Warwickshire and Derbyshire between 1891 and 1903 I can't see the death of any Charles Jackson of the right age. I wonder if he has left his wife, especially as she still describes herself as married in 1901 but he isn't with her. You might need to get her death certificate to see how she is described. I wouldn't guarantee what is on his daughter's marriage certificate as being 100% right, as if he had left the family she might have found it easier and less embarrassing to say he was dead.

Offline Jane_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom that is something I'd not thought of, but then surely he'd appear on a census somewhere?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
He should do, but it isn't an uncommon name and if he didn't give his exact/right place of birth on a census he might be difficult to find, especially if he moved away from the area because he'd gone off with someone else! The fact that she says she is still married in 1901 makes me think he'd left rather than died.

Offline Jane_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
There is only one problem with that, if her death was registered by her daughter or son in law then her death certificate would probably say widow anyway.