Author Topic: Shaw at Drumrash, Parton  (Read 3153 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shaw at Drumrash, Parton
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
I have found my 3x great grandmother, Sarah Sloan, who was the mother of my 2x great grandfather, William Shaw, born 1809 at Kells (Census).  William's father was down as a John Shaw, farmer.

Now found an entry in the OPR's for Kells - 12 March 1809
Sarah Sloan, servant at Drumrash had a son born in uncleanness in the parish of Kells (pater ignotus) and baptised at Kirk - Kells by Rev Mr Thomson named [blank].

Sarah was the daughter of a shepherd but by 1841 she was a grocer in Balmaclellan and in 1848 when she died, her will left everything to her son William Shaw.  I am now trying to trace the father (not yet checked the Kirk Session records), and on checking Parton, I find a John Shaw, Landed Proprietor, born c1782, single, son of John Shaw and Margaret Gordon at Little Drumrash.

I wonder if he could be the father.  He was born about the same time as Sarah.

I was wondering if Gadget may have came across this in the letters she previously mentioned in another subject about the Shaws of that area.  I noticed Gadget is not accepting PMs

Don't suppose I will find out, unless someone from that line has had their DNA done.

Tom

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw at Drumrash, Parton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

You need to check the Kirk Session records in the National Archives of Scotland (if the volume has survived)  Almost certainly, Sarah and the father will have been disciplined.  Also, for the son to have taken the father's surname generally means that the father acknowledged and  supported  his son.

Ian A McClumpha

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw at Drumrash, Parton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian, hoping to do that this week at Kilmarnock.  Going to check both Kells and Parton to see if anything comes up.  I was just wondering if it may have been mentioned in letters Gadget has from c1835.  Slim I know, but best to check all avenues.

Tom