Author Topic: Benjamin Clark(e) & Elizabeth Gibson after 1871, Leicester St Margarets  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Gibson was born in Twyford in 1822.

In 1861 she was living at 3 Picadilly, St Margaret's with 39-year-old Benjamin Clark, a Framework Knitter, plus her daughters Mary [Ann] Gibson 11 & Hannah Gibson aged 1.  Elizabeth's relationship to Benjamin was not stated but Mary [Ann] & Hannah were both listed as his daughters (RG9/2288/104/13) .

Hannah may have died as by 1871 the family was listed as follows (RG10/3276/13/19)

3 Paradise Row (Bedford Street), Leicester St Margaret
Benjamin Clarke 40 Head  Leicester Framework Knitter
Elizabeth Clarke 42 Wife  Leicestershire Twyford Charwoman   
Mary Ann Clarke 20 Daughter Leicester Factory Hand   
William Clarke 16 Leicester Trimmer
John Clarke 6 Son Leicester Scholar   

Benjamin & Elizabeth claimed they were now married although I have not found any evidence of this, and had both dropped about 7 years from their ages  ::)

After this I lose track of them entirely. There is an 1886 newspaper report of the death of 61-year old Benjamin Clarke, a Framework Knitter from Bedford Street, but it looks like this chap may have been married to someone called Rose.  Both Benjamin's appear to have been living in Eaton Street in 1851.

Any help in tracing Elizabeth, Benjamin, or any of the children after 1871 would be greatly appreciated.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Clark(e) & Elizabeth Gibson after 1871, Leicester St Margarets
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 15 05:52 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this one 1891 census
Benjamin Clarke b 1825 Leicester age 66 single frame work knitter
address Licensed Lodging House Whitwick Leicester
Piece 2513 Folio 66 page 28

Also a death registration for Benjamin Clarke b 1825 died Jan-Mar 1900 age 75 Leicester
Death for a Benjamin Clarke 1866 which seems to tie in with the other chap who appears on the census with his wife Rose ..
Not seeing Benjamin so far in the 1881 census

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Just in case it might help unravel,

Entry No.353,  FEB  2, 1852, after Banns
BENJAMIN CLARK, 27, bach. FWK, of EATON St, s. of THOMAS CLARK, FWK
ROSETTA PRESTON, 23, sp. of EATON St, d. of ROBERT PRESTON, LABORER
Wits: SAMUEL GREEN, MARY GREEN

and an earlier one

Entry No.233,  OCT 31, 1841, after Banns
BENJAMIN CLARKE, full age, bach. LABOURER, of COLSTON St, s. of JOSEPH CLARKE, FWK
MARTHA SMITH, full age, sp. SERVANT, of COLSTON St, d. of JOHN SMITH, BRICKLAYER
Wits: WILIAM RUDKIN, JANE SMITH

Burials at Welford Road

CLARKE   BENJAMIN   1886   JUL   21   61   CRAB STREET   SAINT MARGARET   uR1   2750

CLARKE   BENJAMIN   1891   JUN   3   74   SKIPWORTH STREET   SAINT GEORGE   cE   132
This one is buried with
CLARKE   ELIZABETH   1895   JUN   29   38   SKIPWORTH STREET   SAINT GEORGE
CLARKE   MARTHA   1906   APR   4   90   87 HINCKLEY ROAD   LEICESTER

CLARKE   BENJAMIN   1900   MAR   6   75   THE WORKHOUSE   LEICESTER    cB   998

no other clues in the other 2 burials
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Interesting find - thanks Rosie. 

I note he says he is single, which would tie in with the lack of a marriage to Elizabeth Gibson, but I'm still struggling to find any of them in 1881, or Elizabeth & the children after 1871. 

Willsy, a huge thanks for the marriage / burial info.  The Benjamin I'm looking for was the son of William so I think I can rule out the marriages and the 1891 burial, as well as the 1886 one as although the address is different the date & age tie in exactly with the newspaper article I found.  The 1900 one is looking the best bet & ties in with Rosie's find, but if he died in the workhouse then its highly unlikely that Elizabeth would be the informant, if she was even with him by then  :-\

I am a direct descendent of Elizabeth's youngest sister, Eliza, so she's the one I'm most interested in finding, but as I cant find either of them in 1881 and don't know if she was using Clarke, Gibson, or a different surname entirely its not exactly proving easy  :(
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck finding Benjamin or Elizabeth this might be a possibility of the son William Clarke in the 1881 census
William Clarke b 1854 Leicester age 27 stocking trimmer
Elizabeth Clarke age 23 b Leicester wife
William Clarke b 1881 Leicester son
Maria Whitworth b 1865 age 16 boarder
Piece 3170 folio 83 page 22
Address 9,St John Street Leicester

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, 

I can see a marriage between William Clarke & Elizabeth Ann Whitworth in 1878 that could be worth looking at further based on that census entry.

As for Elizabeth, as she & Benjamin don't appear to have married I'm wondering if the 1873 death of Elizabeth Gibson aged 50 could be her?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Quite possible as she seems to have disappeared not seeing the daughter either or the son  ???

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5CZ-VK9

This is a military record for a William Clarke East Indies 6th Oct 1876-10th May 1881, then he continues service
Father Benjamin Sister Mary Ann

He is as shoe rivitter, but looking at the census for other Benjamin's, do you think this is them?
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5CZ-VK9

This is a military record for a William Clarke East Indies 6th Oct 1876-10th May 1881, then he continues service
Father Benjamin Sister Mary Ann

He is as shoe rivitter, but looking at the census for other Benjamin's, do you think this is them?

Wow, I wasn't expecting that but yes, I think there's a very strong chance that this is him.  As well as the names of his father & sister fitting, I know that Elizabeth's brother & father both served in the militia so it would fit perfectly.  I think because Elizabeth left Twyford I sort of assumed that she didn't retain any family ties, but perhaps she did after all.  Not naming Elizabeth as next of kin would also fit with the 1873 death of Elizabeth Gibson, so I definitely need to take a look at that certificate.

A huge thanks once again.