Author Topic: John Haddow and Elisabeth Hamilton  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Haddow and Elisabeth Hamilton
« on: Friday 03 July 15 03:49 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with finding anything in relation to this couple?  I see from some ancestry trees that they supposedly married in 1785 in Carluke.  John supposedly born 3 Oct 1763 and Elisabeth Hamilton in 1766.  I have searched Scotlandspeople with using wildcards and variations and nothing comes up for their marriage nor deaths. My descendency is through their son David born 1805 in Carluke.  I have David's siblings as William, Betty, Robert, James and Andrew through Ancestry searches, however Scotlandspeople reveal only 4 births, William, David, Betty and John.  I see some trees have many other names as being their children. 
I have David's details down through the generations to me, but it is John and Elisabeth I am stuck with.  Any help would be wonderful.  Thank you
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: John Haddow and Elisabeth Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism on FreeReg for a John Haddow born 05/03/1766 & baptised 12/03/1766 in Stonehouse, Lanarkshire. Abode is given as Spital and father Gavin.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Baptisms for children of John Haddow & Elizabeth/Betty Hamilton are on the familysearch site.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are baptisms on familysearch for
John Haddow 5 Nov 1763 Wiston and Roberton parents Robert Haddow and Janet Sandilands
John Haddie  9 Oct 1763 born 3 Oct 1763 Barony parents John Haddie and Mary Creighton

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.  Its John Haddow and Elisabeth Haddow nee Hamilton's marriage and births I need so I can go back further with them.  I have their offspring and my line up to them.  Thanks again.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Having now had a look at a number of the online trees for John Haddow I note that many of them have as his parents those I quoted for John Haddie in Barony. They state that the marriage was in Carluke United Presbyterian Church - as far as I can see this did not exist in 1785 . Morover the non conformist records are not on SP. (The LDS has an interesting Wiki about Carluke parish). Might it be an idea to contact a tree owner(s) to see what  the source of their information is - I suspect that it is a situation where one tree has been put online and others have simply copied.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
William thank you - I thought much the same with those trees.  Didn't seem to find why they were there other than other ancestry trees.  I didn't know that about the Church, so that was great to know.  I am going through the laborious process of adding copies of documents onto my tree so I can prove why my people are there.  I have a long way to go, but at least if anyone wants to verify something it will be there.
Anne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Anne, as miriamkinga mentioned, might worth rechecking SP for the other births showing for John and Elizabeth. FS show, all in Carluke:

Mary 1788
John 1792
William 1794
Anne 1796
Marion 1798
Robert 1799
Janet 1801
James 1803
David 1805
Betty 1807
Margaret 1809
Andrew 1812

12 children at least. Mother showing as either Elizabeth or mostly freqently Betty in these OPR entries. SP I think show 13 entries....7 Betty and 6 Elizabeth!

Sponsors names to baptims often provide some clues to family as can be getting the complete set of early given names to children to see whether any Scottish naming pattern was used to try connect to possible grandparents' names.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
Anne, have you come across this old string of posts elsewhere?

Janet's parents were John Haddow and Betty Hamilton who married in
1785.Betty's father William was the landowner of Hamilton, Lanarkshire. John
became the overseer upon his marriage. Betty & John's son John was the
overseer of Easterseet and their son Robert the overseer of Carluke. All, I
believe originally owned by their grandfather, William. Robert married Janet
Ormiston and later emigrated to Ohio.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HADDOW/2014-01/1388613846

See you had posted previously on this other thread here http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=129&p=surnames.haddow.

Further summary here too www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/haddow/244/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk