Author Topic: Re: Harold William Pearson - Quarter Master Sergeant - Kings Royal Rifles  (Read 1295 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Apologies, if I am in breach of any protocol. I received an email from Find My Past, which advertised a Criminal Record Register and invited me to look. I did and the following emerged:-

Harold William   Pearson   1885   1917   Surrey   CRIM9   

Harold William   Pearson   1885   1917   —   HO140

The subject was my grandfather and I am anxious to discover anything that I can about this incident. I have the first record, showing that he was found guilty and sentenced to, I believe, two years hard labour in Wandsworth. I do not know anything about his time at Wandsworth, or whether he was subsequently court-martialled, as the above was a civilian court decision.

If anyone has any suggestions about further research of the above, I would be interested to hear from you.

My grandfather was also connected with the Church Lads Brigade, a religious organisation, so I guess that they were not pleased with the adverse publicity!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harold William Pearson - Quarter Master Sergeant - Kings Royal Rifles
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
If his service record is not on Ancestry - assuming he was discharged before the end of 1920 - then you will need to research the newspapers starting with those near the court and also his home town. From his rank he may been involved in theft or fraud with suppliers. If he had hit an officer, which would have meant a similar sentence, he would have been tried by court martial.

Just because he was sent to prison did not guarantee a discharge. He may have been forced to continue in the army after release. Although two years imprisonment with hard labour would have broken most men.

Do you know what happened afterwards?

Ken

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thanks for the reply. He was convicted of fraud. Along with his accomplices, they short changed the troops food rations, and took a cut from the supplier. Someone thought that he was not getting a fair share of the cut and dropped the others in it! I have a couple of newspaper reports, but it is the prison details and after, that I am looking for. Surely, Wandsworth would have kept some records and there must be discharge details. Did he return to the Army as a Private? These are the questions that I am seeking answers to. I know that he got a job in Banbury as a ' Manager' at an Aluminium factory, and that he worked, until his death, aged 46 at the BTH, in some clerical capacity.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my query.

Bill

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

Wandsworth Record Office will know if an records from the prison were kept. Even if they were they are likely just to be entrance and leaving records.

I have amended my first as I realised it had to be a non-military offence. In the 19th Century men getting two to six months IHL for say desertion had to complete their army service, to stop men without £20 to purchasing a discharge, thinking that a short sentence was worth it.

Have you checked the electoral roll? Sometimes regimental numbers are given. Or any pre 1917 BMD certificates. Again, sometimes regimental numbers are given

Ken

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Just pulled this out of some previous correspondence:-

"Your last posts re: the above. Between 1914 and 1919 the service number I think was 11440 in the King's Rifle Corp and 57043 for a stint in the Labour Corp. In between he was the Quartermaster in the 109th Training Reserve but by 1919 I think he was still in the Army but as a munitions clerk which 'possibly' indicates he was reduced in rank at sometime."

Someone also quoted a Harold W Pearson 504807 which sounded plausible. I really need an East Ham, Essex address to be sure that it is my target.
Bill