Author Topic: Baker, Alfred & Eliza + Charles Dunn  (Read 2825 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baker, Alfred & Eliza + Charles Dunn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 October 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Alfred J on the 1871 census registered as Alfred James Baker march qtr 1869 Bristol vol 6a pg 8 mmn Vowles, death registered aged 7 dec qtr 1876 at Langport.

John Baker birth registered march qtr 1872 vol 5c pg 474 Langport mmn Vowles

Charles Dunn Baker registered june qtr 1881 Langport vol 5c pg 404 mmn -
Taylor Dunn Baker registered june qtr 1884 Langport vol 5c pg 405 mmn -

Do you have the death cert for Alfred James to see if Alfred senior is still around at that time?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
I am unable to purchase certificates at present because I live in Hawai'i and the GRO will only accept payment by checks drawn on a London bank;  Hawaiian banks do not offer that service, and the USA Post Office will not issue International Money Orders to Britain, so I must wait for Brexit.  Alfred James Baker was the first born of Alfred Baker & Eliza Vowles.  He drowned, which was somewhat suspicious because Charles Dunn's son by a previous wife also drowned.  The Langport news described Eliza as a Widow, but I have never found proof of Alfred Sr.'s death in the UK.  He was a Farrier Sergeant, Service Number 1751/260, so he may have died overseas, but the 7th Royal Irish Lancers said they don't keep records of enlisted personnel.  I am unable to view a scan of the alleged Thomas Baker Elizabeth Vowles marriage 4Q 1868 Bedminster 5C 1187, but it seems to be in error as Elizabeth Vowles married William Hunt 06.XII.1868.  An Eliza Vowles married Thomas Broadbent earlier in the year at Bedminster.  I have investigated a number of Eliza Vowles and Eliza Bakers with no more information that that posted on wikitree.com.  Alfred's grandson, W.A.Baker had no knowledge of his grandparents except they were from "over there" (nodding toward England).  His wife had no letters nor other documentation other than a bundle of photos with no names attached to them, so I really do appreciate all the time you have contributed in researching them.  Aloha!  Rico

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 October 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
I neglected to respond to trish1120 about Alfred's age.  According to Census returns and the Army, Alfred was born in 1831 but not Baptised until 1835 when his mother had another child baptised.  It may be of interest that another child was not baptised until she was an adult about to marry.  At that time Amanda attempted to alter the baptismal record to show John Baker (her father) as the father of that daughter, but the vicar made a note to that effect in the margin which does not appear in transcripts of the baptismal record.  I have found no evidence of any father of her children as she had no offspring by Longman.  I do not know how many children she had,  but it seems her many daughters were as independent as she was.   Her brother, Henry, was also a blacksmith, who moved to London.  Aloha!  Rico

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 October 18 02:40 BST (UK) »
the 1868 marriage is a coincidence of names, Elizabeth Vowles married the other man on the page, William Hunt

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTSG-PKQ

My apologies, should have checked  :-[

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
the GRO accepts visa & mastercard and births up to 1917 & deaths up to 1957 can be ordered in pdf form.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb