Author Topic: Could this Catherine Sherret be the correct one?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Could this Catherine Sherret be the correct one?
« on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm at road end with my Jollys. David Jolly born 1811, at Woodston, St Cyrus to William Jolly and Catherine Sherret. The couple married that same year in St Cyrus. I am resigned to NOT finding the parents of William Jolly.

I thought Catherine may have remarried to a Robert Ritchie in St Cyrus in 1823. In 1841 the couple can be found living Gourdon - he is showing age 53 and she is showing 65 so 30 years prior she could have been 35 still a candidate for David's mom. I have never been able to find this couple in 1851.

Poking around at SP the other day looking at old Sh*r*t* folks and could not believe my eyes there was a 1856 death certificate for a Catherine Sherat other name Ritchie mother's name Souter.

On the certificate it states widow of Robert Ritchie and gives her age as 89.  Her parents are both listed so this looks to be her birth in Garvock in 1769:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYN7-RZ4
(8 children showing at SP for William Shirrit (Shoemaker) and Katherine Souter from 1767 to 1785)

If this is the mother of David then I have a few probs including:
1. No mention of William Jolly on death certificate as first husband.
2. Age - she would have been around 42 when she had David.
3. I can't place her with any Jollys.

A William Lawson signs her death certificate (tenant of croft) Hillhead of Pitforthy - lucky break as that helped find her in 51 - transcribed as 'Pithie'. Lawson may be the husband of Catherine's niece. On the 51 census it gives her occupation as pauper - former fisherwoman.

There would appear to be quite a number of woman called Christina Sherret including a sister of Catherine who dies in 1858 however, I cannot find hide nor hair of another Catherine Sh*r*t.

I'd really like to get this branch written up - grateful for any ideas to help rule her in as a possibility or out.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Could this Catherine Sherret be the correct one?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Jen, not seeing really anything new to help here so far  :-\

Doesn't surprise me that if you have the right Catherine, that first husband William Jolly was not mentioned in her DC after all those years.

Not seeing much yet either on William Lawson and wife Christina, who you think might be a niece of Catherine. What was Christina's maiden surname and birth year?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
1851 William Lawson is with his wife Sarah and four daughters at Hilhead of Pitforthy (Freecen).

From Christina's death cert of 1858 - same parents listed as Catherine, married name Walker (crofter's wife then 'widow'- no husband's forename name given).  Son, James Walker living Stonehaven signs the death certificate...hunted this wee guy down - died 1864 cert lists mother as Christina Sherret father Alexander Walker. Backtracked to the Lawson's and found this marriage:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT55-JBH
that lead me it think Sarah might be Christina's child...but then I could only find this birth:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYFG-B9X

The next bit has me totally confused...there are children showing for both a Christina Sherret and an Alexander Walker the first I can find is the James mentioned above born 1812 Fordoun (next three also born Fordoun) then a gap of 6 years between the last Fordoun birth and a Helen in 1825 born Garvock.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYNW-M4W 
That would mean Christina would have been around 47 when she had Helen. (I think Helen and parents can be found in 1841 living Snawdon in the parish of St Cyrus but mother transcribed as Catherine  :o)  - at FindMyPast and Ancestry she is transcribed as Christina or Christian...I followed this Helen through to her death in 1919 to triple check mother but when she dies only her father is listed - I think that is when I started to bang my head against the wall!

Jen

PS sorry for the ramble....

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Always good to ramble with facts, Jen  ;)

Can't see a marriage year for Alexander Walker and Christina/Christian Sherrit (with all the usual variants so far... ::)). Pre 1800 given they show as having a son born c. 1800?

From others' trees, which I am sure you have, Sarah Susanna Walker showing as born on 13 APR 1807 in Arbuthnott, Kincardine and her death on 2 JAN 1874 in Hillhead of Pitforthie, Arbuthnott, Kincardine. I think the christening entry you have found, showing only father's name of Alexander is very likely her don't you think?

The big question...as you have...is how you connect Catherine Sherrit, daughter of William Sherrit and Catherine Soutar to William Jolly...and being the mother to your David Jolly  :'(

What was the relationship given to the informant William Lawson, if any, when he reported on Catherine's death in 1856? ....Oh for an 1855 death cert  ;)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
(I think Helen and parents can be found in 1841 living Snawdon in the parish of St Cyrus but mother transcribed as Catherine

Jenny,

Is the census with the name Catherine from SP which would be the more reliable  ???

Just checking as I have done quite a few "Scottish" Catherines & Christinas..........

Here are the variants I have come across:

Catherine/Kitty/Katie/Katy/Kate
Christina/Christian/Chrissy/Chrissie/Kirsty/Christy

Hope this helps  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
Annie, I was a bit surprised that it was Catherine on Freecen which is usually the more accurate of the transcriptions. At the time I was down to my last credits at SP so it was Helen's birth or the census...the OPR won but I have since looked at the census on SP - clear as day - Christian.

Monica I hadn't seen those trees but have since had a look - thanks. On Catherine's death certificate Lawson is just listed as 'Tenant of Croft'.

You are right Monica what I need is a connection and the only connection I have in all of this is the parish of St Cyrus and it's not enough....must say this Jolly branch is turning out to be the most sparse on the tree!
Jen