Author Topic: hawick poorhouse  (Read 2116 times)

Offline ENERIJOHN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hawick poorhouse
« on: Saturday 04 July 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
John Johnstone age 69 died Hawick Poorhouse 1897 patient for six months with Chronic Gastritis.Son registered the death with an address in Hawick. I was disappointed to find  there is no record of an interment for John. Is it possible he was cremated and did the poorhouse have  facilities for this. Any lead will help,thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: hawick poorhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi ENERIJOHN

Most details of internments can be hard to find really, for everyone  :-\

If he was at the Poorhouse, it may be that he was also buried in Common Ground at a local cemetery. Cremations were just starting in the UK at this time, see here for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cremation_Act_1902 and I would not consider that as an options at that time really.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ENERIJOHN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
 Hello Monica
Thanks for your reply.  I find this search for John a bit confusing  and find it hard to believe he was not interned as there was a town house with family. it was my opinion that because his illness lasted six months he would be at the poorhouse for medical treatment. The death certificate said that he was a widower so I will try and trace his wife. I know everything takes time and we must be patient.  Ever hopeful Eneri.   :)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
with Hawick you need to check the Lair Books for the cemeteries to get a clearer viewpoint and you would to know which cemetery - you have a choose of the Wellagate, St Mary's, St Cuthberts, or new & Old Wilton - MI register for burials (done the 1960's), but very sketchy, the Hawick Hub has a copy & I think the Border Family History Society Research centre in Galashiels have it too - but remember not every burial has a stone

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Great advice terianne  :)  Is this possible for you Eneri? Are you able to visit these centres yourself to look through the Lair Books and Registers?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
For the lair books you will have to contact Scottish borders council burial services

Very helpful more info the better - may check for you,but may have a minimal cost these days not sure

Offline ENERIJOHN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 July 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. I have been in touch with Scottish Borders and my request for a search for John's Wife Mary is on hold at the moment until 12th July. I tried Ancestry at the library yesterday and got nowhere. just be patient  >:(