Author Topic: Who was Dr Audley?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Who was Dr Audley?
« on: Saturday 04 July 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at a 1736 marriage in Fulfords Ambo, East Riding of Yorkshire, where the couple had been granted a licence from Dr Audley.

Does anyone know who Dr Audley was?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Dr Audley?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Probably John Audley.  He was appointed Vicar-general in the Diocese of York in 1716. He was an LLD which is Doctor of Laws. Source: Clergy of the Church of England Database.

Venelow
Canada

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Baptized 22 April 1680 at All Saints, Huntingdon. The son of Edward. He went to Eton and entered Peterhouse College Cambridge in May 1696. Attained his LLD in 1710. 

Source: Cambridge Alumni and Family Search.

Venelow

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, venelow, that's very helpful!  My only thought had been that perhaps he was the Archbishop of York, but a quick google search put paid to that idea.

I'm interested in that clergy database.  The groom in this marriage was shown to be a clerk, which I'm assuming means a parish clerk. So I wonder whether he might appear in that database himself?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Whipby

I think that clerk may mean Clerk in Holy Orders, that is an ordained priest of the church of England.
Parish Clerks were usually literate lay people people.

Check the database to see if he is mentioned. http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

All Church of England priests were graduates of Oxford or Cambridge so you should also check the alumni databases. You may get a place of birth and a father's name. Also the age at which they entered the college (matriculation) and the degrees received.

Members of the clergy are great to find in a family as they invariably married their cousins or the daughters of other vicars.

Venelow

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Whipby and Venelow,

Assuming that Dr Audley was the John Audley refered to by Venelow and I see no reason why Venelow is not correct.

The family history of John Audley, who was the Vicar- General of the Province of York and Chancellor of the Diocese, was published in the 1930s in Chapter 3 of a book titled 'Audley Pedigrees' the author being A L Reade. Whilst the researcher/author was A L Reade the research was paid for by a George Audley of Liverpool who died in 1932.

If  you would like to read a copy go to my website www.audleyfamilyhistory.com and on the left hand menu hold the cursor over the 'published information' tab so that it expands and then click on ' Audley Pedigrees'. This page contains links to all 20 chapters of the book 'Audley Pedigrees' you are looking for Chapter 3.

If you have difficulty finding Chapter 3 from the above instructions drop me a private message containing your e-mail address and I will e-mail you a copy. The copy on the website and the one I can e-mail to you is a scanned image of the 1930s publication.
Regards
Brian Audley (and before you ask John Audley is not a proven relative of mine)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 07:35 BST (UK) »
I should just add to my message of last night that I received a personal  message  from Ammack (Annie) advising me that this message was on Rootschat.
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Venelow, I'll check out the database to see if the groom is listed, and also try to find the alumni databases.  I have in the back of my mind that I have done this before, for a different ancestor, some years ago but had forgotten the sources, so thank you for the reminders that this information is out there!

Brian, thank you very much for your information, which I will certainly check out, although I must admit to just a passing curiosity about Dr Audley.  It piqued my interest because none of the other marriages that were on the page had the groom's occupation or the source of the licence.  Perhaps it was included because the groom himself was clergy and he 'deserved' a bit more than the norm!