Author Topic: Lower Cummery  (Read 3893 times)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lower Cummery
« on: Saturday 04 July 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello , I have just returned from South Molton and was looking for a place called Lower Cummery. I was wondering if anyone has heard of it please. I am talking of the period between 1840-1847 , thank you , regards
Alan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Cummery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
I have searched both of my multi volume Victorian gazetteers but find neither Cummery nor Lower Cummery. As you might know there is a Grade 2 listed building nr Exeter (Holcombe Burnell) called Cummery Cottage.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, its definately in South Molton area , maybe a farm ? I can't exactly remember who gave me this but think it was some years ago from paid research at NDRO .
Regards
Alan
Maybe I should look at South Molton's census's for a mention ?

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I suspect that there has been a transcription error somewhere.

There is a Lower and Upper Cumery near South Milton.

Using Old Maps find Ashford, Devon. go to the 1906 1:2500 map and get rid of the blue overlay. using the navigation arrows move the map to get Ashford near the bottom of your screen then using about 9 clicks on the West arrow you should find them in the top half of the screen, above and to the left of Combe Farm.

OS map reference SX 668 490  the 1:50,000 Landranger series shows the name Cumrey there. the 1:25,000 series South Devon OL 20 might well give both names Upper and Lower because they both show up on the free version of th OS'd Get-a-map web site

If you have a name for anyone who should have lived there in 1841 the census should confirm this location.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you , I will look into that , the ancestors I am talking about are Thomas Prout who died in South Molton in 1847 and his wife Margaret who died in South Molton in February 1841. Both deaths give South Molton .
Regards
Alan

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello , I just got the burial of those two and they were Anglican's buried at South Molton , residence of Thomas , Cummery , residence of Margaret ,Combrew{ I suspect was Combray as informants were listed on 1851 census at Combray . Its a pity they don't tell us where they are buried too .
Regards
Alan

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census shows Thomas PROUT living at Lower Cummery, with the property listed before his called Higher Cummery and the property afterwards named Ford Down, followed by Great Stone. (All in the Parish of South Molton) This map http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/SouthMolton/ParishMap.html shows Ford Down and Stone
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you , that is fantastic , I was beginning to wonder if I had got it wrong .
Regards
Alan

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry if my earlier posting was off but it still looks like mis-transcription plays a part, as we so often find in family history research

The 1904 old-maps 1:2500 appears to use the Cumbrew or Combrew spelling, it is difficult to enlarge on screen too far before losing resolution.
It is south west of Stone at the side of what is now the B3226
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.