Author Topic: Birth in Armagh 1867 - BOYD  (Read 10197 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Armagh 1867 - BOYD
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
Here's the link to the 1901 census you found-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Cosgrove_Street/957623
Same couple in 1911- married 26 years (c1885) but no children-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Linwood_Street/145978

Possible marriage 29 Sept.1882 Belfast to a Margaret McGarrell

Thank you, but it doesn't appear to be the Margaret/Meta Jackson (nee Boyd). She was a nurse. The 1911 Ireland Census appears to be the correct one and, she was a widow:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Victoria_Street_Great__part_of_/190279/

It was the name William Henry JACKSON in the 1901 that made me think I had found her.
I haven't found a marriage for Margaret/Meta Sophia BOYD in either Ireland or Australia.

I am trying to establish when she returned from Australia to Ireland and at the moment, I know she was there in 1911.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 July 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
Someone on Ancestry has the Boyd family in their tree.
They have a birth for Margaret Sophia Boyd 1/8/1867. there seem to be 7 other children to this family. Some of them are buried at Saint Mark's Parish Church Cemetery Armagh. Margaret had a brother Louis Patrick boyd B-12/9/1865 and died in NSW 9/8/1922.

Will be interesting to see the BOYD family tree and see the other children's names.
Still curious to know where the name JACKSON came from. Her son was named Charles Robert Jackson. Robert, possibly after her father.
cupcake

sue

Got Louis Patrick's death on Trove he was just 56 years. He was also married to a Anne ?

Thanks

cupcake

May I please comment

Trove is the short name for the online part of the National Library of Australia.  It includes many digitised newspapers.  But it is much more than that.   Also it is free to search.   The digitised newspapers are fantastic, and the NLA welcomes anyone helping with the OCR transcriptions of the digitised newspapers.

Here is the live link to the notice of Louis' death http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16018315 11 Aug 1922 Sydney Morning Herald.  (Peakhurst is in the Hurstville district)

You would probably need Louis' NSW death cert or better still his NSW marriage cert to validate his parentage.  Perhaps his probate packet would make mention of his sister Meta ?  NSW State Records Office holds his probate packet.  Here's the link to their online index showing his file details.  The deceased estates files pre 1923 (his is pre) can be a complex process, but here's the drop down box for the index.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-deceased-estates-and-related-records/indexes-to-deceased-estate-files

NSW death certificates includes sections for personal information about the deceased; for medical information about the cause/duration of the illness; burial/cremation information.    The personal information has, from 1856, included the name of the deceased; his/her age; place of birth; length in the colonies/states; parents' names including nee for mum; spouse; when & where married; details of the children (living and deceased) of the marriage/s.   Of course, this personal information is informant driven, and if provided by a family member is information given at a time of grief so may not be as reliable as say first hand information provided at marriage.

NSW marriage certificates include information provided directly by both the bride and the groom, and by 1898 included the following details:  full name of the groom, his parents' names (including nee,) and if either were known to be deceased; groom's age, occupation, place of birth, usual address, and of course his Dad's occupation. (same for bride).    If either were not yet 21 years of age, then the name of the adult providing consent.

NSW BDM is online, free to search.    There is even the option to drill down to determine the date of the event. This is a fairly recent feature, but already there are some tree submitters who are allowing others to believe they have validated their information, including exact date of the event by obtaining the certificates, when all they have done is GUESS a connection based on information on the index, or deduced from drilling down on the index.   

The NSWBDM has appointed official transcribers who provide same details as on the real deal certificates.  These organisations are well respected by family history groups, and the service offered is excellent, pdfs as email attachments, and delivery ahead of NSW BDM itself, and at much less expense. 

Here's the link to NSW BDM http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

( 9 May) 1898 Louis P BOYD married Ann BROWN registered Sydney district.  NSW BDM #2514
( 9 Aug     ) 1922 death of Louis P BOYD son of Robert A and Frances, registered Hurstville district NSW BDM #10187

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 July 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Would like to find the birth entry for Meta Sophia BOYD, I believe she was born around 1867 in Armagh.

Would also like to find her marriage to Willaim H JACKSON. She emigrated to Australia as JACKSON (widow) on the S.S. Mauretania 17 August 1918 from the UK.

Any information would be very much appreciated

cupcake

Cupcake, may I ask

if you have found Meta travelling back to the UK prior to the 1911 census?  If so, under what surname....
if you have found Charles travelling back to the UK prior to his enlistment in the Australian Imperial Forces .... afterall those records show his apprenticeship in Ireland ?  If so, under what surname...

This will help the search for a marriage for Meta, and give an indication of when Charles became known as Jackson instead of Boyd....   

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 July 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Would like to find the birth entry for Meta Sophia BOYD, I believe she was born around 1867 in Armagh.

Would also like to find her marriage to Willaim H JACKSON. She emigrated to Australia as JACKSON (widow) on the S.S. Mauretania 17 August 1918 from the UK.

Any information would be very much appreciated

cupcake

Cupcake, may I ask

if you have found Meta travelling back to the UK prior to the 1911 census?  If so, under what surname....
if you have found Charles travelling back to the UK prior to his enlistment in the Australian Imperial Forces .... afterall those records show his apprenticeship in Ireland ?  If so, under what surname...

This will help the search for a marriage for Meta, and give an indication of when Charles became known as Jackson instead of Boyd....   

Cheers,  JM

It's all a bit confusing, to me anyway. The Ireland 1911 census has her as Jackson and, a widow. I  haven't found a marriage for Meta Sophia Boyd in either Australia or Ireland.

Yes, getting the ships passenger list for her return to Ireland, will help the search for a marriage for Meta, and give an indication of when Charles became known as Jackson instead of Boyd

cupcake

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Armagh 1867
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
Previous thread here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723154.0

Interesting 1911 census record here for a Chas Robert Jackson (be sure to click on "Show all information" to reveal the Birthplace and Occupation):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Wellesley_Avenue/170409/

There's a later duplication of this info  ::) http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=724697.0

Offline Valour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 08:58 BST (UK) »
Interesting Thread. My Grandfather is the Charles Robert Jackson you are talking about in this. His son, my father was named Adrian Milton Boyd Jackson (the Boyd after Meta Sophia BOYD) and I am Bruce Charles Jackson (Charles after Charles Robert Jackson). I am just doing my ancestry currently. I have Meta as having married William Henry Jackson. I haven't read all of this thread yet but thought I'd comment already. So excited.  I don't know if you will get notified of this comment as I have only just found this site.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome Valour, when you reply to a topic the other members are notified by email. Cupcake was last online 2 weeks ago.

Regards

Sarah
RootsChat
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 12:49 BST (UK) »
Interesting Thread. My Grandfather is the Charles Robert Jackson you are talking about in this. His son, my father was named Adrian Milton Boyd Jackson (the Boyd after Meta Sophia BOYD) and I am Bruce Charles Jackson (Charles after Charles Robert Jackson). I am just doing my ancestry currently. I have Meta as having married William Henry Jackson. I haven't read all of this thread yet but thought I'd comment already. So excited.  I don't know if you will get notified of this comment as I have only just found this site.

Hello,

I am afraid I can't help you at the moment. It has been a long time since I did this research.

I do recall a my Aunty Anne (Annie we used to call her) marrying a Charles Jackson 25th. February 1933 and they moved to Bellingen, a township on the Bellinger River on the North Coast of New South Wales. At the time of the wedding Anne was 32 years old and Charles 42.
I believe they had a son Adrian born 12th. July 1937.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 13:20 BST (UK) »

I have sent you a PM - Private message