Author Topic: nimrod wild  (Read 6058 times)

Offline teddygreen1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: nimrod wild
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 July 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
yes i know thanks. we were looking at it again as still have a brickwall with nimrod .

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
It is possible Nimrod liked to use another name.
Quite a brickwall you have and hopefully in the future something will turn up.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
Yes quite a brick wall we have, I think other people are also trying to knock that brick wall down. Joseph Wilds daughter Gipporah called her son Nimrod so it must be a family name.
William is also a family name down the generations and I have wondered if Nimrod was really William and just fancied the name Nimrod!  ; ;D
Anyway thank you for your help.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 June 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hello, it's been about 11 months since our last post on this thread regarding Nimrod Wild our brick wall and we've had another go at trying to track down his son Josephs birth. There is nothing at all with Nimrod as a father to Joseph.

On Josephs marriage certificate to Julia Barker it clearly states that his father was Nimrod and that he was a blacksmith. We also know that Joseph and Julia's daughter Gipporah had a son called Nimrod so obviously the name must have been important to them.

We know that the name William has run through the family and thought that maybe Nimrod might be a William and was using the name Nimrod. Various Census state that Joseph was born in Brierley Hill.

We have a birth certificate for Joseph Wilde b/d 2 April 1844 at the Round Oak.(Kingswinford) father William Wilde a pudler, mother Rebecca Wilde formally Fox.
Everything seems to be ok with this birth, i. e timescale/area apart from the father being William.

We be grateful to hear if anyone thinks it's a possibility we might be on the right track. Thanks.

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
I was interested in this thread as my husbands g g grandfather was a Joseph Wild living in Fenton, Stoke on Trent, but unfortunately it turned out not to be your Joseph Wild.  Your story is interesting though.  I don't think you can say conclusively that William Wild is Nimrod Wild, however you may be able to find more evidence.  Do any of the other children name the father as Nimrod rather than William?  I wonder if he is named as Nimrod on his gravestone (if you could possibly find it)

Sorry not to be any real help

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, I think Nimrod is going to remain our brick wall, I want to believe that the certificate we've got is the right one with William as Josephs father  but I agree with you that we can't say conclusively that he is. All I know is that Gipporah Josephs daughter called her son Nimrod.

I'm probably biased towards the name William because my late husband was descended from Josephs son William and the name has come down the line although not with my husband or son.

I do know that others are looking for Nimrod. The only one we found was in Hampshire around 1751 which is too early to be Josephs father. Someone on another site suggested he might be our Nimrods father and a Romani Gypsy as there were Romani gypsies around Hampshire and that sometimes they changed names and moved around. ...... I wouldn't have a clue  :)

I'm not from Staffordshire and don't know the Stoke on Trent area, at least with my own ancestors I do know where to go grave hunting.  ;D.
Thank you for your reply. 
Maureen.