Author Topic: Enniscorthy - "Shannon Hill" in Griffiths  (Read 2814 times)

Offline dobrennan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Enniscorthy - "Shannon Hill" in Griffiths
« on: Sunday 05 July 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where Shannon Hill is, in relation to "The Shannon," the two areas used in Griffiths for the east side of town in 1853? I can see The Shannon on the Griffiths map, but not Shannon Hill. I haven't been to Enniscorthy, but from maps it looks like there was a residential area just across the bridge which might be elevated above The Shannon residential area heading towards Drumgold.

I think this is all referred to as Templeshannon today, even though Enniscorthy extends to the east side and there is a Templeshannon townland adjacent to the town limits, I think.

Thanks,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Enniscorthy - "Shannon Hill" in Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
No.7 Shannon Hill on a property site has these directions
Directions: From Enniscorthy office proceed along Quay towards Wexford; turn left (opposite new bridge) up Springvalley road. Proceed to top at T-junction turn right, house is on right just after pedestrian crossing with sign.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
It just appears to be a section of the road called The Shannon, I can't see it marked on any map but if you google it the apartment block Carrig Túr keeps coming up, which is easy to find on Google maps but of course wont be on older maps.

Offline dobrennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sinann

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 15 05:38 BST (UK) »

Agreed, there are several internet references indicating that the White House Bar, St Senans Church and the Mercy Convent are all at Shannon Hill, if you use google maps / streetview, you will see they are all within 100 yards of each other on the road called the Shannon and that the road is on an incline.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 00:16 BST (UK) »
I maybe wrong but when l went to Ennicorthy 2yrs ago l walked up the hill past the old Covent and if you continued to walk to the top and turn left it brings you to Vinegar Hill.
The church St Senna was up another hill which was the main road. We had to get the church key from the garage across the road. Funny really because it a ruin without a roof.
Another fact l found interesting told to me by the lady in the library. The area Shannon hill was known as Tin Shannon because houses were originally built for the many travellers who favoured the area. The travellers liked their new homes but we're reluctant to give up their caravans and lots of them kept the "vans" in the back garden. As the tin houses became dilapidated New homes were built in there garden.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland