Author Topic: Mary Ann ATKINS - help!!  (Read 2389 times)

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann ATKINS - help!!
« on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello i have an ancestor Mary ann Atkins born around 1824 that was apparently born in the East Indies. How would i find her birth??

thanks  :)
cyanda

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
First place to try would be familysearch.org
Was her father a military man?
FindMyPast has overseas births for that period  http://search.findmypast.com/search-world-records/british-nationals-born-overseas-1818-2005
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help!!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
There are several public trees on Ancestry which include Mary Ann Atkins born 1823 or 1824 in East Indies, transported to Tasmania 1846.

Don't take someone else's research at face value - always do your own research to check that links are correctly proven.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann ATKINS - help!!
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Convict records from Tasmania show her in 1846 aged 23, single but with one child (father stated to be William Cartledge).

native place "East indies b? (but/brought?) up in the potteries"
Previously convinced three times for stealing.

She was delivered of an illegitimate daughter, Ann, who later died in Australia.

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk
Under Calendar of Prisoners index:
Mary Atkins, 16, at Longton in 1841 (Felony)
Mary Atkins or Ann, 23, at Longton in 1846 (Felony, Transported)

If you can find her family in Staffordshire and then work back to her father's military records (and her father was almost certainly military), that would help.

At the second, you could find a baptism for a Mary (Ann) and not be sure it was the right one.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
 - shows some references I think to the 1841 case and also a 1845 assault on a Mary Ann Atkins of Longton - might help fill in details.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 05:01 BST (UK) »
i found that her father was joseph Atkins and he was in fact a military man born in leek staffordshire. his wife was Mary other children besides Mary ann was Joseph, Thomas, Anne and Jane.
Mary anns father was defiantly out of the picture when she was convicted in 1846 i found a census from the longton area with her mother Mary atkins  a widow living with her Daughter Anne Atkins that married William hollins and has her birth years as 1813....i looked at births of children to a Joseph and mary Atkins and found three in east Indies.    
Ann Atkins 20 Mar 1814 in Poonamallee, Tamil Nadu, India
joseph Atkins 21 October 1820 in Bangalore, Madras, India
Mary Atkins 09 Mar 1818 in Trichinopoly, Madras, India

their daugther jane would of been born around 1827 and their son thomas around 1834.....
cyanda

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Cyanda

I have been researching Mary (Ann) ATKINS and would be glad to share with you what I've found.

The Mary ATKINS you found died 13 months later on 19 Apr 1819 and is buried at Trichinopoly, she had the same parents as the other children and it was not uncommon for people to use the same name for later children after one had died.  I cannot find a baptism for the Mary you have found in Find My Past, only a death so using the birth date you gave on your last post 09 Mar 1818 fits in.

Mary ATKIN was born in 1823 in Fort William, Bengal.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.