Author Topic: Mary Amanda Bass 'niece by marriage' to Ralph William Champion  (Read 8863 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Amanda Bass 'niece by marriage' to Ralph William Champion
« Reply #72 on: Monday 06 July 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
A question that you asked . . .

Yes,

It was the Bass family that built Bass Place so as they were Freeman they must have been allowed to name the street !

Tara

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 06 July 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I can't quite see how Moller/Waller and Le Champion could be related to John Waller and Ralph Champion, have I missed something?
Richard Champion died 2 years after Ralph and doesn't get any sort of mention in his will.
The Champion/Robinson on the same page is interesting, but I think the Robinson family that Abel married into is most likely English.......
I always wonder about the irishgenealogy.ie site. They say they have all the surviving C of I records for the Dublin area, but I suppose it would be best to check the originals in the RCB Library, maybe one day!
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 06 July 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
I believe nearly half COI records were burnt in the Four Courts fire having being deposited in the archive. That's why the RCB hold onto them very firmly now. :)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 06 July 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
Eliza Champion of Winetavern Street is buried in Glasnevin in 1858, age 65.

Might be worth following up, if nothing to rule her in or out.

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml

Hum, so the Eliza Champion that we are looking at died in 1849 at Denzille Street.

She must be buried in Mount Jerome then so.

Again, defo call Mount Jerome cemetery and see can they help with her too, ask who else is in the grave etc.

Anyway, early 1849 RALPH William Champion is listed as the proprietor of the business (funerals, furniture removals and COAL merchants) on Denzille Street.

Later in 1849 the proprietor of the SAME business (funerals, furniture removals and COAL merchants) is listed as ROBERT Champion.

Then go back to 1833 at the SAME address is a RICHARD William Champion with a COAL merchants.

I would bet my last penny that Robert and Ralph were brothers.

Richard, the coal merchant, I would guarantee is related ~ an brother, possibly a father ?!

The Richard death that I posted may not be one and the same family, it was just a suggestion.

He doesn't appear to be buried in Glasnevin so I would ask about him too in Mount Jerome.

So, there are then a LOT of records for an R W Champion, all leading back to this family BUT which of the three R guys they relate to I can't be sure as they all lead back to Denzille Street which is where all three R guys lived at one point or another !

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
Belfast riots 1857 Orange Order see Grand Committee second column.
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/13794/page/353941

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Surprising, to me at least, to see the Orange order spread throughout Ireland. But the Protestant Church of Ireland was the 'established church' at the time. Is the Orange order just confined to Ulster now? Better not get too involved in this aspect, especially so near the 12th! Regardless of his religion and politics, he still took care of my great grandmother in her hour of need.
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)