Author Topic: HMS TORNADO  (Read 5137 times)

Offline orourkea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS TORNADO
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 July 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Regorian and Kgarrad.
Thank you for your further assistance. I am wondering about the Pennant No on the photo. A Dovercourt and Harrich website gives Tornado's Pennant Nos. as F97, F78 which seems to conflict with that on other photos - it perplexing ....just like a lot of family history matters!!!
Thanks again.

Offline walbren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Regorian and Kgarrad.
Thank you for your further assistance. I am wondering about the Pennant No on the photo. A Dovercourt and Harrich website gives Tornado's Pennant Nos. as F97, F78 which seems to conflict with that on other photos - it perplexing ....just like a lot of family history matters!!!
Thanks again.

Offline walbren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello orourkea and RooM

Just came across William John Rooney and your posts while doing family history and found the story of his tragic death.  I am his first cousin once removed (his uncle, Frank Rigney was my grandfather and brother of Teresa Rooney, William's mother) and so we are also related.  I would be very interested to have any information on this man.  I have a photo of the now dilapidated remains of his home in what was Torrens Parade, later 378A North Circular Road, Dublin.

Best wishes

Offline orourkea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Walbren,

I attended a commemoration for the 100th anniversary of William's death held, where he is commemorated, at the Plymouth Memorial last December. It was attended by one of his great nephews. Took quite a few photographs. The British Legion Plymouth Branch help conducted the short but moving ceremony.

I'm linked to William by marriage. My aunt married his brother and indeed a 'Rigney' was the bridesmaid at my parents wedding (1947) - so we have some connection.

Offline walbren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 April 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Orourkea,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I'm sure the memorial service was indeed quite moving.  Was William's body ever recovered?

Your aunt must have married either Thomas (born 1894) or Patrick (born 1900).  As far as I know they were the only brothers that William had.  Would you by any chance know the first name of the Rigney bridesmaid at your parent's wedding?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Best wishes