Author Topic: Derry. Change of surname, why and how  (Read 2069 times)

Offline kate57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derry. Change of surname, why and how
« on: Tuesday 07 July 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Hugh Deery married his 2nd wife in St Columbas Long Tower. 1893 His surname Deery and Roman Catholic. His daughter born 1895 and registered Deery.
By 1901 census he had changed their surname to Adair and religion. Did he have to formerly need to do this e.g. By Deed Poll or would it have been informally. If formally where would it be recorded? Was there something going on locally in Derry that he believed he had to? Was it to improve his lot by not being Roman Catholic and having a name that was seen as non Catholic ? He moved from South of the river to the North of the river at Ballymagowan. Thank you.
Deery from Eglinton and Claudy. Co. Derry
Doherty from Eglinton and Benduff near Carndonagh,Donegal
Logan/Maguire from Rathfure Co Fermanagh and Co Cavan
Logan-/Greer Clydebank and Glasgow. New York/New Jersey
Connolly-from Carrick County Tyrone to Glasgow and USA (New York and California)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Derry. Change of surname, why and how
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Hugh Deery
By 1901 census he had changed their surname to Adair

Hi Kate,

This looks to have been what I originally thought.....a transition from gaelic so I checked it out  ;)

"This most interesting and unusual surname is the Anglicized form of the Gaelic name "O' Daighre", which is composed of the Gaelic prefix "O", meaning "male descendant of" and the personal name "Daighre", fiery"

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Deery

Hope this helps,

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   1901 census the family were Roman Catholic but in 1911 they were Presbyterian See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__2_/Deanery_Street/602205/. I also noticed that in 1901 his father-in-law was a Presbyterian. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__2_Urban__South_Ward/Deanery_Street/1536031/
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
You could, and can, use whatever name you wish as long as there's no illegal intent so there is inlikely to be any paperwork for someone who made a slight variation in his surname.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!