Author Topic: shopwreck casualties-Mullion RNLBI  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Ted Harvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
shopwreck casualties-Mullion RNLBI
« on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
I have a letter written on RNLBI Mullion notepaper from Rev Harvey in March 1873 concerning the death in a shipwreck in a storm of what I think is a relative of mine. Does anyone know if there is a way of finding the names of shipwreck casualties? I know he is buried in Mullion church churchyard.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shopwreck casualties-Mullion RNLBI
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
I don't know how far back records go.  But ship  insurance records   may record  cost of claims after shipwrecks.        Try Maritime  Museums  or TNA at Kew.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
There will presumably be a name in the church burial register.

You could also check the records of deaths at sea, the GRO death index, probate records, and contemporary newspaper reports of the wreck. Or post the details here and we will take a look for you.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.  :)

Presumably this was the barque 'Boyne' ?

There are three burials recorded in Mullion PR on 8 March 1873, but it only states on each record that it was a male person found drowned from the barque Boyne.  No names.

One of the casualties was 21 year old Alexander Lowe Grahame, 3rd son of James A Grahame, Esq., of the Hudson Bay Company.  The captain and fourteen other men were lost.  Four were saved.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ted Harvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: shipwreck casualties-Mullion RNLBI
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggestions so far. I am wondering if it could be the Rose or Treaty both of which were wrecked on 2nd February.

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
I've had another look - there was one named casualty buried at Mullion on that same day 8 March.  This was John Clark, although no indication that he was on the Boyne.  It just says found drowned.

The Rose was reported wrecked near Penzance in early February.  This is the other side of Mounts Bay and I think it less likely that any bodies were washed up on the shore near Mullion.  Indications are that the Treaty was also wrecked near Penzance, but I can't find an exact date, although both vessels are mentioned in the same sentence on wikipedia.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk