Author Topic: Great Grandfather from Annaghdown, Galway, Ireland  (Read 4118 times)

Offline magsfamilytree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Grandfather from Annaghdown, Galway, Ireland
« on: Tuesday 07 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi to Everyone on the Forum. This is my first post and first attempt at joining a Forum So if my question seems daft or I have posted in the wrong place apologies and please be patient.

I am really struggling to find a baptism/parents  record for my Great Grandfather Michael Fahy born in Annaghdown, Galway, Ireland I think 1868. He married Margaret Mulroy in Pennsylvania, USA in 1890 but returned to England. he died in 1944 aged 76 . I had hoped to find his parents on a marriage record, but no such luck, found a copy of the USA marriage record but not a great deal of information. Any Help would be really appreciated. Or just a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks Mags

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandfather from Annaghdown, Galway, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
If they were RC then Registers are coming on line, free, tomorrow.... web address to be announced!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi There and Welcome !

I know the Annaghdown area fairly well.

Yikes researching Fahy's there as there are a LOT.

So, you need to trawl America & England first.

My first question is where did you get Annaghdown from ?

What EXACT info was on his marriage cert ?

Was there any info on his death cert ?

Was there an obit for him ?

What were his children's names in date order, this can help with naming traditions of the time.

What is the first census that you have him on ?

Lots of q's but Annaghdown has great records which will all go online tomorrow, but we need a few more leads to try and get the correct family !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Mags

Did you get this ACTUAL cert ?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJVX-JZG

Tara

Offline magsfamilytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Wow! impressed Thanks everyone..

I found an old newspaper article from "The Irish Weekly Independent Newspaper" dated March 5th 1959, and it recorded my great grandparents coming from "Annaghdown "  County Galway, living for a period in Germantown Pennsylvania.  I found a marriage record on "Ancestry" and again on The Ellis Island web page, it only gives you the names of the persons getting married and the fact the marriage ceremony took place at Orphan’s court Pennsylvania. I don't have an actual marriage certificate.  I am struggling to find a record of their arrival or departure from the USA, I also have been unable to find when they left Ireland. The first census I have is from 1891 in England. Margaret Mulroy (my great grandmother) had a brother John who married my grandfathers sister also called Margaret, so it gets a little confusing at times. I don't have a death certificate, and as far as I know no obituary, but I shall look again for one, could have missed it.  Once again on Ancestry I found a reference re will and probate, but that's it. 
They are Roman Catholic so its great to find out the records are to be online, could be lucky.
Their Children were  all born in Heywood Lancashire  England ..Ellen Jane born 1893. Patrick 1902
Martin born 1905. Michael born 1909. Joseph born 1914. They actually had 10 children but sadly 5 died. still tracing those unfortunate ones. no idea if they were born in the USA or England as yet.

Thanks everyone for your response it really is appreciated

Mags

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags

Great that you have actual proof that the was from Annaghdown BUT you still need his parent's names to be sure that you are working with the correct family.

I don't know how Pennsylvania records work but I think you should post the question on the American boards re the marriage cert and see if it's worth while getting ~ as in would it mention parent's. Also ask would it mention witness' as they may have had siblings as their witness' and this helps get leads.

So, does the newspaper article say that Margaret Mulroy was also from Annaghdown ?

Mulroy is not a local name to Annaghdown

This GV will show you heads of household responsible for paying rents in the area just before Fahy would have been born.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/annaghdown.htm

Re the other Fahey & Mulroy couple ~ can you give me as many details as you can on this couple to see can I get leads that way !

Just a note re Annaghdown, sometimes records show up in Headford, Lackagh or Castlegar so tiptoing is needed for now  ;D

Tara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
the marriage ceremony took place at Orphan’s court Pennsylvania
This is a bit confusing to outsiders but Germantown is in the Philadelphia area and the Orphan's Court dealt with marriage records so that marriage took place in that area but not actually at the Orphan's Court.
"The city and county of Philadelphia were combined in 1854. In 1860, the city passed a law requiring the Board of Health to register all marriages. In 1885, Pennsylvania authorized the Orphans’ Court in each county to register marriages. By 1885, all marriages were supposed to be licensed in Pennsylvania." www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline magsfamilytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the advice. this is great.
Re reading the article, it maybe misleading as it says both of my mothers grandparents came from Annaghdown County Galway. (Thanks Tara for the link to Griffiths Valuation of Ireland) my grandmother may have come from Galway but not necessarily Annaghdown.
John Mulroy (Mulvey) born 1864 in Birkenhead married Margaret Fahy  Lancashire 1885. marriage registered at Bury. 
Thanks for the heads up re catholic parish records...think I will try there..
Mags