Author Topic: Old Rashee Burying Ground-STRANGE;ELLIOTT  (Read 5961 times)

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Rashee Burying Ground-STRANGE;ELLIOTT
« on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
I am requesting help from those who have pictures/ list of inscriptions for this old graveyard to see if there are any headstones for family listed below.  I know they are buried in Old Rashee based on newspaper death notices/family groupings.  If there are any markers, where are they in proximity to the burial hut ?
William Barklie Strange, died November 16,1866
Mary (Johnson) Strange, died (May?) 1841
Sarah Elizabeth Strange (child) died in 1820's, 1830's
Christina Strange Redpath, died June 2, 1876

Samuel Elliott, died April 19, 1892
Mary Ann Strange Elliott, died March 12, 1901
Sarah Elliott (child), died April 16, 1881
Agnes Elliott Morton, died February 28, 1907
Christina Strange Elliott (child) died in 1850's

Agnes Fleming Elliott, died November 6, 1903
Samuel Elliott, died September 1, 1905
John Fleming Elliott, died June 27, 1905
Mary Ann Strange Elliott (child) died February 25, 1887     Thank you for any help.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old Rashee Burying Ground-STRANGE;ELLIOTT
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply giving all the websites and prior messages.  Many I had read before.  Still hoping someone may have lists/photos of inscriptions to check for me; if not will consider paying to see what Ulster Historical Foundation has or spend a day doing the stone search when I next return to visit.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
The website :

http://www.discovereverafter.com/

has records for this cemetery.  At a quick look I could see some Barklies but perhaps not the ones you are seeking. I could see a number of Barklies and Elliotts in Kilbride cemetery which is not far away.  Worth a search.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Quite a few sites from link I posted like http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rasheeoldcemetery/

Quote: 

Rashee Old Cemetery is outside Ballyclare Co. Antrim Northern Ireland.

During my family research I have discovered people who have been buried there but no headstone exists  today.  As far as I know the Grave Register is not available to the Public so I am looking to put together a list as people buried at the cemetery.

If you know of any one who was buried in Rashee Old Cemetery graveyard then please contact (email address).....

This is a quote from one of the links!! 

Have you contacted that person?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the lead to check everlasting site - did not have the ones I want but did give a lead on one  from another Elliott family branch from the Kilbride list.  Having some difficulty getting back to the email for giving list of info on burials at Old Rashee but will try again. 

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, Sailing9
I am wondering if William Barklie Strange who died in 1866 was the father of Hugh Strange and Mary A. Strange. I have a William B. Strange who is the father of Hugh Strange who married Margaret Gardner and had a son also Hugh who married my Jane Waddell Beggs. Hugh born abt 1826 died in 1907 in Doagh.
I do not have a spouse yet for Mary A. Strange born 1832, maybe it was Elliott.
Hoping to hear from you.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, William Barklie Strange was the father of Hugh Stuart Strange, born July 21, 1824.  He married Mary Johnson at First Ballyeaston on September 5, 1823.  His son Hugh had two marriages, first to Margaret Smyth on December 31, 1850 at First Ballyeaston.  They had at least two children who survived, Mary b. about 1851 and Margaret b. about 1853. The first wife Margaret Smyth Strange died sometime in the 1850's.  Then the marriage to Margaret Garner.  I have the rest of Hugh's children, etc. and yes I have that his son Hugh married Jane Wadell Beggs. 
I have a handmade booklet from 1841 - 1842 that we believe belonged to William Barklie Strange.  I think that was the year his wife died.  He had someone write out the date of his marriage and the names and birthdates of all his surviving children.  In the 1950's my grandfather moved back to Northern Ireland and spent a lot of time trying to interview and find Strange relatives.  I have all of his notes and have added a lot of information on the whole family.  Please email me to let me know what information would be helpful for you to have - glad to share.  Also I would like more specifics on your branch.  Hope this helps.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sailing9,
Would you happen to have parents for Mary Johnson. I have other Johnstons in my tree who may or may not be connected. I only have 2 children for William Barklie Strange - Hugh and Mary A. although I must say that I have not researched the Strange family extensively.
The parents of my Jane Waddell Beggs were Robert Beggs and Jane Beggs nee Beggs.
Hugh and Jane Waddell Beggs emigrated to Canada where Hugh died Sept 25, 1948 in Calgary, Alberta,Canada and Jane died Apr 15,1960 in Orange, California, USA where she went to live with her son Hugh after her husband Hugh died.
Jane's brother Robert also emigrated as did her sister Susan Caroline Lucy Anne.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland