Author Topic: London/Kent Travellers - Surnames - Jenner, Redman, Goodman, Moore & Colyer  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Emma Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello!

I have a few names from my paternal side I will be looking into as it is rumored that there may be a gypsy link somewhere.

The names are Jenner, Redman, Goodman, Moore and Colyer.
Mainly situated in London south east and border Kent, like Bromley and Orpington.

My great great grandfather Goodman has an occupation listed as a Hawker on one of his childrens marriage certificates.

My grandparents also got married aged 31 and 16 in London.
Cowell - Thanet, Kent, England
Jenner - London, England
Peebles - Glasgow/Lanarkshire, Scotland
Shoosmith - Sussex & Ramsgate, Kent, England
Pierce - London/Kent
Goodman - London, England
Redford - London, England

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London/Kent Travellers - Surnames - Jenner, Redman, Goodman, Moore & Colyer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 15 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi. Emma. I am. A Rom from the north. But have travelled all over uk/Europe/world.  living And meeting with many gypsy folks. You must find other occupations that fit a Romany lifestyle. And traveller names that are in your family. At census years. Or marriages. Etc. A hawker may be just that. I have not heard of the name's you mentioned. But family's settle. Lose or gain name's thru time. If you have tried this and other Romany site's try finding surnames the match yours. Not much help.I know. Sorry.. Try giving a little more information.  Cushty bocht ..good luck. Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Emma Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi. Emma. I am. A Rom from the north. But have travelled all over uk/Europe/world.  living And meeting with many gypsy folks. You must find other occupations that fit a Romany lifestyle. And traveller names that are in your family. At census years. Or marriages. Etc. A hawker may be just that. I have not heard of the name's you mentioned. But family's settle. Lose or gain name's thru time. If you have tried this and other Romany site's try finding surnames the match yours. Not much help.I know. Sorry.. Try giving a little more information.  Cushty bocht ..good luck. Rob

Hi Rob,
Thank you for replying, im still fairly new to researching my tree and family, So i will continue to search and dig deeper. Do you have any links to other Romany sites?

Thanks
Emma
Cowell - Thanet, Kent, England
Jenner - London, England
Peebles - Glasgow/Lanarkshire, Scotland
Shoosmith - Sussex & Ramsgate, Kent, England
Pierce - London/Kent
Goodman - London, England
Redford - London, England

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Again. Emma. Most of my information is oral. And personal experience.  I don't really use them. But Romany genes is a good start.Olso Romany jib. But Google Romany. Or gypsy history sites. There are. many that will come up. Just a little info. May give you ;some thoughts.around 75% of British people have some Romany blood in their family. And in 16th century. It was a crime punishable by death to be born a Romany! If you want any information on gypsy lore./ lifestyle. Or anything else. I may be able to help with. Feel free to contact me on this site. Or pm my email. Hatch Cushty. (Stay well)  Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .