Author Topic: Brodie, broadie,bradie at Strathbogie...Parish Birth Registers; religious courts  (Read 3553 times)

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is a Look-up Request:  I've become really stuck on my direct male family line from XVII century.
Family name Brady, but Charles B was recorded in around 1840 by a member of the family as "having come down from Scotland "sans coulottes". He washed up on the Suffolk Coast on naval duties probably related to the Revenue around 1690s, where the family remained and grew for over 100 years. There is strong tradition that he came from Huntley, Strathbogie, and an apochryphal account of a family member later visiting Huntley, where an elderly resident claimed he rembered Charles. Charles is stated as having got himself involved in some kind of political (religious?) movement too deeply for his own safety and for this reason moved down South. Charles died in Suffolk in 1757 at "near 90", indicating a birth of around 1670.
Charles had a brother who also later came to Suffolk to farm, name Robert, who is stated as having been born in 1671. So two births -Charles & Robert - from the same parents around 1670 would be a strong indicator of relationship.
Having looked through Scotlands People I am unable to find this relationship. This is puzzling, as I understand that the Scots clerics kept far better records of births etc. than did the incumbents of parishes in neighbouring England.  Has anyone else any ideas, please?  I would be really grateful for a link.
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brodie, broadie,bradie at Strathbogie...Parish Birth Registers; religious courts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Further to my earlier look-up request, another thought is that the name might have been Brydie or similar, which I understand was used in Aberdeenshire.  Having moved south to the London area for a while (Gravesend) Charles's pronunciation of his name might have been taken by the Suffolk people as a cockney derivative of Brady, and so the name stuck...perhaps!
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Brodie, broadie,bradie at Strathbogie...Parish Birth Registers; religious courts
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
The 17th Century was a turbulent time in Scotland and there was considerable religious upheaval.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter  will give you some background information.
The period following the Restoration of Charles II to the throne has been referred to as "The Killing Time"

Unfortunately this upheaval had an adverse effect on the records which were sparsely kept or which failed to survive (The National Records shows the earliest OPR entry known for Huntly to be 1683).

......  I understand that the Scots clerics kept far better records of births etc. than did the incumbents of parishes in neighbouring England.

I wish that were true but in many cases it is as far from the true situation as you can get  ;)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
"Extracts from the Presbytery Book of Strathbogie 1631-1654" shows nobody of that name.

The Spalding Club published the Records of the Sheriff Court of Aberdeenshire. It might be worth a look as it covers the 17th century.

You could look at the on-line catalogue of the National Records of Scotland.