Author Topic: Old 3 digit UK Telephone numbers.  (Read 18405 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Old 3 digit UK Telephone numbers.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
I've just remembered that in "The Man Who Never Was" the Black Lion, Mold had a two digit phone number in 1939 - something like Tel: 26 (sorry I lent the book out, silly me). How would that work?

I remember that when 3-digit numbers were phased out our neighbours were annoyed that theirs suddenly went to 6 digits while ours stayed at 4. We eventually joined them there, of course.

Older Lancaster numbers like ours have only 5 digits still which confuses people. On a form I sometimes have to add a 6th "dummy" digit before being allowed to proceed. Seems to work.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
When we moved into our house nearly fifty years ago we had a four digit telephone number.  Those four digits are still the final digits of what is now an eleven digit number.  The extra digits were added gradually over the years
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
In the 60s / early 70s my parents had a three digit number. It changed in 1972 (I think) and became a six digit number. The last three digits of the six digit number were the same as the original three.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
The change was phased in over a period of years with the roll-out of  automatic exchanges.

This item is from the West London Observer, 3 October 1924:

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
When we moved house in 1970 our new number was Loftus 776 which then had a 40 prefix added and by 1981 had become 640776 with a 4 digit area code. I am unsure of the exact dates of the changes but it was a relatively rural area
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Surely it was all down to population numbers.

In 1966 my aunt and uncle had Bristol number - Clifton 33515.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
back in the 50's our number was 21 by the end of the decade it had a 3 added by 63 it was 4321
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
As recently as 1960 my parents had a 3 digit telephone number.
They also had a party line which meant that if the other party was on the phone you couldn't use your phone although you could listen in....

My cousin worked at a manual (is that the right word) exchange where she connected phone users.
A colleague of my cousin was sacked for passing on to her parent some information she had picked up! after connecting two people she knew

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
Re Peter, lots of London businesses get the format wrong, even above premises, and even argue when told. Sometimes it even confuses people if you give a number correctly,  020-8xxx-xxxx, then they read it back to you wrongly.

Martin