Author Topic: MCBEAN Catherine  (Read 3516 times)

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MCBEAN Catherine
« on: Thursday 09 July 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a birth, marriage or death for Catherine McBEAN who was the wife of Duncan CLARK (born about 1777 Dunlichity died 23 May 1855).  She appears to have been alive when he died and is listed as "Catharine Clark maiden name MacBean".  I have them in the 1841 and 1851 censuses  - 1851 living at "Culduthell Muir" and she is 60 born Dunlichity.  I have searched Scotlandspeople and found nothing.   :'(
Thanks
B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: MCBEAN Catherine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi B

There is a death in 1857 for a CATHRINE (as indexed) MacBean/Clark born c.1787 in Invernesshire. Have you discounted this entry?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
I did discount it because it doesn't give the husband's name but I have bought it now anyway.

Thanks for the help.
B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
Those years, just post the 1855 start of official registration, were a bit of a mix, B. By 1860 onwards, things more settled in terms of form for the registrars. You went from the amazing 1855 certs (you have that by the sounds of it for Duncan's 1855 death) and then 1856 on with reduced info. For a couple of years at this time, you also did not have spouses' details for deaths. A death reg just showed single or married, and if married, spouse not named.

What were the other details on that 1857 death reg? Address and informant?

Monica  :)

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
The husband's death (Duncan Clark) has all the children. Catherine's doesn't have her husband, just Macbean Cathrine (Widow), her parents and informant her son William Clark.  The certificate is rather poor quality too - barely legible.
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 July 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Regarding legibilty, contact SP. See here for notes www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=1210 They are great at responding to these types of problems and quickly arrange for certs to be re-imaged. V. often makes a big difference.

William is her son? Do her parents' tie up with what you had? She is showing as a widow which would fit with Duncan having died in 1855. Address? Sounds like it may well be her death reg...

1855 was an extraordiany year in terms of info, which is what you have for Duncan's death. Having said that, apart from the next few years, from then, the Scottish BMDs have so much info that is so useful.

Monica

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 July 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
Didn't know who her parents were that's why I needed her death.  I have sent a message about the poor quality.

Thanks
B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 July 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
SP have a Cathrn McBean baptised 1797 in Dunlichity.
Family Search give the parents of this Catherine as Angus McBean and Cath. McIntosh

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  The death I have has Alexander Macbean and Janet Mackintosh as parents.  I have found that children, especially sons,  are not the most reliable for family information!  Children's names were Donald, Duncan, John, Margret, Alexander, William, Angus, Catherine, Michael and James.  William was the informant of the death. I don't know if the Scots had set naming patterns for the children.

B

Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox