Author Topic: MCBEAN Catherine  (Read 3506 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: MCBEAN Catherine
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 July 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
There is a recognised Scottish naming pattern order. Not always followed or in order, but I am always amazed how often it was in a way to be helpful with searches.

A number of links on this such as this one www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 July 15 07:35 BST (UK) »
THanks - don't think they followed the pattern.
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 July 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
I have found that children, especially sons,  are not the most reliable for family information! 

You are so right.  I remember my father-in-law struggling to recall his mother's first name!  He came up with Henrietta in the end but still wasn't sure.  I can't imagine what he'd have put down on the form when it came to her parents.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
I have found that children, especially sons,  are not the most reliable for family information! 

You are so right.  I remember my father-in-law struggling to recall his mother's first name!  He came up with Henrietta in the end but still wasn't sure.  I can't imagine what he'd have put down on the form when it came to her parents.

When I registered my father's death (Scotland) I was able to give them all the details needed but the Registrar checked everything on computer i.e. if I had not known all the details she would have found them which I thought was good as many people don't realise what info. is needed when registering a death.

There was also a coincidence as the Registrar had the same maiden name as myself.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"