Author Topic: SHAW FAMILY  (Read 6329 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW FAMILY
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
All I have is...
B/albany Bapts:
10th May 1802   James 3rd son of William Shaw + Rebecca Elizabeth Gibson of Drumsnat
7th Feb1805   Jean 1st dau of William Shaw + Rebecca Elizabeth Gibson of Ballinode, Tedavnet
17th April 1806 Thomas 4th son of William Shaw + Rebecca Elizabeth Gibson of Skinnagin, Donagh
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline minnie1703

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
All I have is...
B/albany Bapts:
10th May 1802   James 3rd son of William Shaw + Rebecca Elizabeth Gibson of Drumsnat
7th Feb1805   Jean 1st dau of William Shaw + Rebecca Elizabeth Gibson of Ballinode, Tedavnet
17th April 1806 Thomas 4th son of William Shaw + Rebecca Elizabeth Gibson of Skinnagin, Donagh
THANKYOU x

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Minnie, this is really getting quite ridiculous although I'm sure you didn't intend to cause so much confusion today. You've started 5 topic (several on the wrong board then duplicated elsewhere rather than waiting for a moderator to move them after you'd reported a problem). Even worse is that you post one thing then later contradict yourself later.

So far you've said-
Thomas Shaw born c1801 Belfast, in Masonic Lodge in Belfast (family story)
wife Elizabeth born c1805 Belfast/maybe Monaghan, maiden name Shaw (in 3 posts)/maiden name O'Neil
son William born May 1828 Donagha Co. Monaghan/born 1829, married in Scotland

From what you've posted so far there's no way to tell if any of the Monaghan records are for your Shaw family although you should certainly keep a note of them in case there does prove to be a link.

You need to start with FACTS and work your way back through records, Scottish ones first, to keep from making so many mistakes or assumptions. Aside from Scottish census records do you actually have any birth, marriage or death certificates? have you checked for church records? traced all possible descendants to see what information, documents and stories they have?

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline minnie1703

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry to cause so much confusion, as I mentioned earlier it's because I have 2 trees and I looked at the tree that was outdated first instead of the most up to date one. Elizabeth's name is O'Neil and her birth place has been guessed as monoghan because of her children been born there but Thomas was definately from Belfast. I have their son williams birth and death certificates were it says Elizabeth was a shaw also but from another relatives certificate of another child's marriage (not sure which one until I check)it states her name as O'Neil......my 3xgrt grandfather william Shaw and his siblings all lived in dalry Ayrshire before he married Janet edgar in 1849 in dalry. Their marriage certificate says williams parents are Thomas and Elizabeth Shaw, but on Margaret shaw and Daniel magill/mcgills marriage cert it it says her name is O'Neil(just checked) also on Matthew shaw and Elizabeth nodes/nodds marriage cert it also says O'Neil. All thomas and Elizabeth's children were born in Ireland but married in Scotland....im sorry for causing such confusion, even though I've been learning how to do this for years I still struggle a lot of the time especially with my Irish ancestors.....think I need a crash course of using this site

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 July 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Wait a minute here-

Thomas was definately from Belfast
Proof?
I have their son williams birth and death certificates
William was born in Ireland in 1820s? there will be no birth certificate- registration of births didn't start until 1864
How do you know that William, Margaret, etc. are all siblings? or even half-siblings?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 July 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering where William Shaw born in May 1828 in donagha county Monaghan  came from!

Is this based on a fact?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.