Author Topic: John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest
« on: Thursday 09 July 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
I've struggled to get back any further on John since starting my family history just over 3 years ago, but I may have made a breakthrough today ;D.

On his marriage certificate in 1852, John Owen, a 25 year old labourer, was resident at Abernant, Llanrythan and his father was given as James, a shoemaker. I'd hoped that this info would help me find them in 1851 and then 1841, but nothing.

Later censuses suggest that John was born between 1827 and 1829 in Haverfordwest, so tonight I've been looking for possible baptisms. And I found one at Prendergast on 9 July 1826 for John Owens, son of James, a shoemaker, and Anne, of Prendergast village, and matching baptism details for Joseph in 1827 and William on 31 May 1829. Sadly there is a burial for a James Owens of Prendergast village, aged 41, on 26 June 1829, less than a month after William's baptism, and a burial of Ann Owens, aged 42, on 23 Feb 1832, both of Prendergast village.

This looks good and explains why I can't find John with James in 1841, or James, a shoemaker in 1841 or 1851.

I've entered the info into my tree as possible for now, but can anyone see anything wrong with this scenario? Any suggestions as to what would have happened to the 3 young children - all under 5 - following the deaths of both parents? I'm off to look for anything more on John's brothers now....

Thanks for reading.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I'd forgotten that I'd posted about John before....
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=647656.msg4943634#msg4943634
though this new post is about a different set of baptisms.

Looks like Orielbenfro may have found the marriage though.... James Owens married Anne Jenkins at Prendergast 04 Jan 1825  :). Thanks Owen, RIP.

Edited to add: Rees Owens, witness at the marriage, possible brother to James, died aged 35 in Dec 1831. And on his marriage to Mary Husband, Rees was a shoemaker.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Possible marriages for James and Ann
James Owens 4.1.1825 Prendergast to Ann Jenkins
James Owens to 22.5.1825 to Ann William Haverfordwest.

Baptism for James 8.12.1788 Pendergast on FindMyPast but I don't have a sub.

1841 census Pendergast
Ann Owens 35 y
William Owens 12y

Could this be James's sister who's taken the youngest in?

John is a lodger at Neath 1851 but can't see him on 1841.
James St
Sarah Williams widow 75 baker Neath
James Jones 6 grandson Neath
John Owen 24 railway lab Haverfordwest
John Munny 24 same Carmarthanshire Laurne
William Hopkins 16 blacksmith Glamorgan Llang?

Ciderdrinker

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

The Prendergast family looks great :) thanks. I found quite a few interesting BMBs on FindMyPast last night and today, inc the baptism of James on 9 Dec 1788, son of Joseph & Elizabeth Owens.   

Joseph & Elizabeth had a number of children from 1781 to 1795 (John, John, William, Joseph, Rees, Rees and Martha, all of Prendergast village).

Joseph lived to the grand old age of 93, Elizabeth to 76, both buried in Prendergast (of the village).

I haven't yet found a marriage for Joseph & Elizabeth, nor a baptism for Joseph :(

Not found an Ann yet either, though she could be married to one of Joseph's brothers. so the 1841 for William looks good, thanks.

The 1851 for John in Neath is interesting too, I'll look into that.   

Thanks again,

Deirdre

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Deirdre

Are these your Joseph & Elizabeth ?
 Banns Sept 1780
 Married 19 Oct 1780 At Prendergast Church

Joseph Owens & Elizabeth Prothero

Kind regards
omega  :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega, that looks promising :) Where did you find that? It didn't come up on FindMyPast.....

Many thanks,

Deirdre

Edited to add: It's on the Pembs banns on FindMyPast but not the marriages :-[

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Deirdre

Found it on FindMyPast ,on origanal PR

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 July 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Omega, it's not coming up on my search on the marriages but it is on the banns - with confirmation of the marriage - which is great  :)

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 February 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just come across this mention of Owens of Prendergast, and I think there may be a connection. I have a miniature of Joseph Owen (born 1787 in Prendergast), who was uncle of my 3xgreatgrandfather Joseph (born Bristol 1806), whose father John was (I believe) also born in Prendergast in about 1786. The two Josephs were both shoemakers, and it looks like Joseph and John were both sons of Joseph and Elizabeth. Can you kindly supply me with dates of their baptism?

Charles