Author Topic: John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I think Joseph 1745 is my 4th great grandfather ... So we have a 'removed' !

Son James 1788 my 3rd, son John 1826 my 2nd, daughter Jane 1853 my great grandmother.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
OK. Generations not that far out (e.g. my 2xggm born 1838), but for the large gap between your James and John.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
If it's right, based on burial aged 41 in 1829, James was about 37 when he married.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 April 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
In case it is of interest, I ordered the death certificate of Joseph Owens of Prendergast. It confirms that he was 93 when he died, and also that he was a shoemaker, which ties him in to my later Owen ancestors.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 April 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles, that's great, thanks.

Would you be prepared to let me know the date and cause of death (i'll get the cert myself when i get back to that branch, currently transferring my tree to Family Historian and checking details as i go).

Thanks, Deirdre

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 April 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
Of course, Deirdre: he died Oct 11 (buried 15th). Cause of death "old age"! If you give me your e-mail address I can send you a scanned copy.

By the way, just looking through the earlier messages here, I was reminded that your John - although not himself a shoe maker - was the son of James, shoe maker. So to my mind it seems logical that James would himself have come from a family of shoe makers - which would seem to support the view that James came from the family in Prendergast, wouldn't it?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's great. I'll pm you now. Love the cause! I have a 'natural decay' for my John's MIL, which sounds worse, though probably (hopefully) means something similar.

Yes, I think I'm quite happy with the family, and had added them to my tree, though I'm aware that, as with all pre-census and pre-registration records, it's difficult to be 100%. I don't seem to find many wills or any other docs to confirm or otherwise, though I'm sure that's the case for many people.

Deirdre