Author Topic: John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Owen(s), born around 1827 in Haverfordwest
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I think Joseph 1745 is my 4th great grandfather ... So we have a 'removed' !

Son James 1788 my 3rd, son John 1826 my 2nd, daughter Jane 1853 my great grandmother.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
OK. Generations not that far out (e.g. my 2xggm born 1838), but for the large gap between your James and John.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
If it's right, based on burial aged 41 in 1829, James was about 37 when he married.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 April 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
In case it is of interest, I ordered the death certificate of Joseph Owens of Prendergast. It confirms that he was 93 when he died, and also that he was a shoemaker, which ties him in to my later Owen ancestors.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 April 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles, that's great, thanks.

Would you be prepared to let me know the date and cause of death (i'll get the cert myself when i get back to that branch, currently transferring my tree to Family Historian and checking details as i go).

Thanks, Deirdre

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 April 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
Of course, Deirdre: he died Oct 11 (buried 15th). Cause of death "old age"! If you give me your e-mail address I can send you a scanned copy.

By the way, just looking through the earlier messages here, I was reminded that your John - although not himself a shoe maker - was the son of James, shoe maker. So to my mind it seems logical that James would himself have come from a family of shoe makers - which would seem to support the view that James came from the family in Prendergast, wouldn't it?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's great. I'll pm you now. Love the cause! I have a 'natural decay' for my John's MIL, which sounds worse, though probably (hopefully) means something similar.

Yes, I think I'm quite happy with the family, and had added them to my tree, though I'm aware that, as with all pre-census and pre-registration records, it's difficult to be 100%. I don't seem to find many wills or any other docs to confirm or otherwise, though I'm sure that's the case for many people.

Deirdre