Author Topic: DNA - Jersey Folk going back to the 13th Century  (Read 3399 times)

Offline laffoley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA - Jersey Folk going back to the 13th Century
« on: Friday 10 July 15 02:12 BST (UK) »
Have just had DNA  results from Ancestry.com. My father and all his family are long time Jersey folk going back to the 13th Century. The result shows 44% Irish. No mention of CI and I am curious to know how this result is achieved. Any thoughts on this appreciated....thank you

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
Reading Ancestry's own pages, it says (re their DNA service):

Your AncestryDNA results include information about your ethnicity across 26 regions/ethnicities.

Although our ethnicity algorithms and prediction models will continue to improve over time, there are a few reasons why your ethnicity estimate may not be exactly what you expected: 1. Your genetic ethnicity may go back further than your family tree. 2. While your ancestors lived in a certain country, there may have been genetic influence from other places. 3. You don't necessarily share common DNA with all of your ancestors.

Obviously Channel Islands isn't included as a separate region/ethnicity?

Ancestry splits Europe into the following regions:
Great Britain, Ireland, West Europe, Iberian Peninsula, Finnish/Northern Russia, Italy/Greece, Scandinavia, Europe East and European Jewish.

So. does CI come under GB or West Europe? I have no idea! :(
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DAW01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: DNA
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Interesting - thanks for sharing.
On basis of paper historic records I have only 1/8 CI ancestry (and 1/2 of that goes back to Dorset originally), plus 1/8 Irish, everything else seems to be England.
On the basis of my looks and family medical history I'd have predicted I inherited more dominant CI genes than anything else.
My AncestryDNA results showed 95% GB, 4% Irish and 1% Iberian Peninsula.
I assume the latter would be more likely to be from the CI component because the Iberian Peninsular area stretches into Northern France - or from Portugeuse agricultural workers perhaps.
Sadly so far I've not found any CI links via AncestryDNA at all - other than spotting a couple of possible French-sounding names in other peoples trees.