Author Topic: Researching: Henry William Stuart and Mary Stuart (born Kershaw)  (Read 12142 times)

Offline Echo_x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Researching: Henry William Stuart and Mary Stuart (born Kershaw)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 December 15 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh great, yes these look like the people I'm looking for! Wonderful. Great searching
Cleal, Evans, Webster, Michael, Pardington, Aitken, Armstrong, Stuart, Kershaw, Hendriksen, Muller, Butterworth, Barron, Stuart

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 December 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
This might be worth looking in to

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gpf/
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 05:51 GMT (UK) »
posted on wrong thread

:D  sorted,  my post is now on following thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767392.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pamwashere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 May 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm interested in this family too. I can't find my notes right now, but I have noted that a Henry Stuart died on 16 Feb 1888.  He was the son of Mr Stuart and Jenner Purdy. Civil Registration Indexes

This is where I found the death: General Deaths 1877-1969 on LDS film 1715057 items 27-35. This death was 1888/27.

Given that Henry William Stuart and Mary Kershaw had a daughter named Ella Purdy Stuart, I think it's the same man. About his death - was he shot in the stomach by any chance?
Pam

Offline Echo_x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 May 17 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hey there Pam,

I'm not sure if he was shot in the stomach or not. Did you get his death from Fijian records?

Cheers,

George
Cleal, Evans, Webster, Michael, Pardington, Aitken, Armstrong, Stuart, Kershaw, Hendriksen, Muller, Butterworth, Barron, Stuart

Offline pamwashere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Yes some time ago I looked at Fijian civil registrations and Henry Stuart d 1888 was one of the ones I extracted. Henry's father was Mr Stuart and his mother was Jenner Purdy. The information in this thread is interesting - it leads me to a Jane Purdy age 20 with father Thomas Purdy, gardener, in the 1841 census for Morpeth, Northumberland, which looks promising.  My main interest is Ella Purdy Stuart's husband Henry Mowbray Michael.  According to a family story he was shot in the stomach, but his thread has solved that puzzle too, as I see that it was Albert E Stuart who shot himself.  Thanks!

Offline Echo_x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 July 18 03:58 BST (UK) »
I'm also very interested in Henry Mowbray Michael. He is my 3 x, Great Grandfather. I have photos and information I can share with you. I'd love to swap information as well if you're interested.

Below is some notes I've written about Henry Mowbray Michael;

Education:
St. Xavier's College
  Park Street, Calcutta

Henry was from Portuguese decent? Or was he the illegitimate son of John Hick Michael..? Was his mother indian? He was living in Goa and was sent by the British East Indian company to do clerical work in Fiji. (verbally transferred family history knowledge)

Possibly an Anglo-indian.

MR. HENRY MOUBRAY MICHAEL, Clerk of the Court and Interpreter to the Stipendiary Magistrate at Navua, was born in India on February 13th, 1852. He is a son of the late Mr. John Hick Michael, an officer in the Foreign Department in the Indian Civil Service. The subject of this notice was educated at St. Xavier's College, Park Street, Calcutta, who, upon the termination of his college career entered the legal profession Foreign debt in an attorney's of the Supreme Court of India. In 1871 he was appointed a clerk in the Foreigni Office at Calcutta, continuing in the office until 1878, when he accepted an engagement with the Fijian Government to proceed to the islands as a clerk and interpreter in the Immigration Department. He arrived in Suva in the beginning of 1879, and immediately entered upon his duties in the forementioned capacity. In 1886 he left the serMR H. M. MICHAEL. vice in order to control a number of leaseholds held by Indians in the Rewa district, but in the following year he re-entered the Fijian civil service as clerk and interpreter to the stipendiary magistrates at the Rewa. In 1890 lie was transferred to the Navua district in the same capacity, where lie has remained continuously ever since. Mr. Michael married in 1890 Ella, third daughter of the late Henry William Stuart, one of the managers of Nadroga station, then owned by Messrs. James AicEwan & Company, and has a family of six sons.

Sunday Times, Sun 1 Mar 1925 / Page 2 / advertising

"TRANSFER OF LAND ACT 1893.

(Section 75.)

Application No. 265/1925.

Notice is hereby given that the pursuant to the direction of the Commissioner of Titles in this behalf it is intended on the twenty-seventh day of March next to issue in the name of Ella Purdie Michael wife of Henry Mow-bray Michael of Nuava Fiji Clerk a special Certificate of Title to the land described below the duplicate Certificate of Title having as is alleged been destroyed by fire. Dated this 26th day of February. 1925.

ARTHUR G. HARVEY.

Henry's brother John Martin Michal was born circa 1853, Simla, India. He married Elizabeth Cunningham Michael (born Jones) in Simla India or Calcutta, Bengal, India Jan 31 1878. Looking into this sibling could perhaps uncover information about the families time in India. These two had a daughter, Catherine Ann Jones Michael b. Oct 22, 1879, Simla, India. Christened Nov 3rd 1879, Simla, Bengal, India. Residence: Bengal, India. Ethnicity 'American'. Race: White. She died the same year on Nov the 4th, Peshawar, Bengal, India. Ethnicity is stated as 'American'. She was also buried there.

Henry Mowbray Michaels death certificate: He was born in 'Simla, India' I'm guessing it means Shimla. It states that his father's name was John Michael but his mother's name was not recorded. This is possibly another clue to the idea that he was an illegitimate child to John. Was his mothers name Annie E Michael (nee Martin)?

16 Sackville Street, Grey Lynn
Auckland, New Zealand
From Circa 1911 To After 1919

26 Grafton Road, Grafton
Auckland, New Zealand

Offline wainuiomartian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 July 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
I don't believe Henry Moubray Michael was illegitimate. There is a marriage of John Hick Michael to Ann Martin in 1845:
Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce
 Record details:
Marriages 1845 - marriages extracted from the domestic occurrences mentioned in the 1845 'Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce' which was the pre-cursor for the Times of India

Entry from Marriages 1845
Grooms Surname  Michael   
First names  J H   
Bride  Martin   
First names  Ann   
Place  Calcutta   
Year  1845   
month  July   
day  9   
Register Entry  At Calcutta on the 9th July at St Thomas's Church Middleton Row by the Rev D Egan Mr J H Michael to Miss Ann Martin   
Edition Year  1845   
Edition Date  26 Jul   

There is a birth of an unnamed son to John and Ann in 1852, which I believe is Henry:
 Allens Indian Mail:  Birth, marriages and death entries extracted from the domestic occurrences mentioned in Allens Indian Mail.

Bengal Births 1852 
 Entry from Bengal Births 1852
Surname  Michael    
Son/daughter  son    
Place  Calcutta    
Year  1852    
Month  February    
Day  13    
Exact Entry  Michael, Mrs. J.H. s. at Calcutta, Feb.13.    
Edition Year  1852    
Edition Date  2 April    

I got both of these from the FIBIS website a while ago.  Also, I wonder if John Martin Michael and his daughter were 'American' or possibly this is a mistake for 'Armenian'?  John Hick Michael's father was Hick or Haik Michael and his mother was Ripisma. They were Armenian.

"Armenians in India, from the earliest times to the present day: a work of original research. Pub by Asian Educational Services, 1937"  by Mesrovb Jacob Seth

Chapter XXX111 The Armenian Church of Nazareth: the oldest place of Christian worship in Calcutta

p 439 "on a white tablet, fixed on the south wall of the nave:
18. "Sacred to the memory of John Michael, merchant of this city, the only child of Haik and Ripsima Michael, died at Calcutta on 4th February 1909, aged 75 years. Interred at the Tangra Cemetery.
this tablet was erected by the Church Committee in appreciation of the chrities endowed by him for the relief and education of the Armenian poor in Calcutta."

Mr John Haik Michael, the son of humble parents, rose through sheer merit, to be a leading merchant and land owner in Calcutta, during the last decades of the 19th century. He left large bequests for the poor Armenians of Calcutta* and for the education of poor Armenian boys and girls in the La Martiniere (for girls) and in the local Armenian College.
* Mr John Haik Michael left a bequest of Rs. 102, 600 to the Armenian Church of Calcutta for the benefit of the poor."
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=BlreO8bmK30C&dq=%22john+haik+michael%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s

I'd love to get any photos of Henry or his sons.