Author Topic: So Proud of Great Diversity in My Ancestry  (Read 9978 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: So Proud of Great Diversity in My Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 July 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
Let me congratulate you on your enthusiasm.  :)

Its what drives us to make new discoveries and explore , not only our lives, but in this context , our past.

I would join in with the words of caution but I am more interested in , what seems to me, to be a desperate hope to identify as Ashkenazi.  :) Is this important to you? You would do better to do the hard yards and do a family tree and get all the documents that place your families in a high proportion Ashkenazi region
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline chesya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 July 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
@ Guy Etchells - I agree that on reading this passage the claims seem extreme, but rather than being firstly ethnic, most results are geographic in nature in relation to a supposed database giving it an ethnic dimension. This database may not exist or not be as reliable or complete as proclaimed, but I am convinced that there is no sinister desire to divide by fictional ersatz racial categories. A guilty verdict seems likely, but the jury is still out. I will encourage Genetic Ancestor Ltd to post here so that they can defend themselves or be justly taken apart

I know there are holes in Oppenheimer's research but there seems to be evidence of distinct geographic distribution of genetic material. I understand that a majority of people in Britain and Ireland fall into a similar group distinct from continental Europe. I am interested what people think of this.

@ Ruskie - Proud of diverse ancestry? Why not? I believe we are all equal but also different, and I find difference interesting. If my mt results were valid, I would find it fascinating that I had better matches in a database collected in Russia than in my birth place in the UK. I would find it interesting that I had heritage in Northern Iran and Balouchistan and in the Faroes. My Genetic Ancestor mt map would suggest perhaps a nomadic ancestry which I find inherently more interesting. Many of us feel detached from our cultural milieu and are searching for something more (ask people of African Caribbean origin in England for instance). This makes us easy prey, but I have learnt and I am already moving on.

Something which is impossible to verify and therefore strictly speaking invalid is a spatial correlation  between geographical spikes in interest in my artwork as delivered by google analytics and some of Genetic Ancestor's geographical loci. Unverifiable and vague, but there is a hint of a hint of something. Maybe.

@ dgibbins - thank you for the encouragement. A number of my relatives have been engaged in the paper trail, but there is nothing beyond my grandparent's generation. Maybe I am descended from aliens :)

I am no more anxious to be an Ashkenazi than to be related to an untouchable in India, but I am fascinated by the great Ashkenazi civilisation of the Russian pale: Minsk, Pinsk, Kaunas, Kishinev, etc. weakened first by the Russian Empire and then completely obliterated by the Nazis.

I am also powerfully drawn to Sephardic music. Probably means nothing. *shrugs*

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 July 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
How much did the test cost?
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 July 15 14:31 BST (UK) »

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 July 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Yikes!

I think the precision of area where someones ancestors are from is a bit weird. How can a test be that accurate? (assuming the information is correct)
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline chesya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 July 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Yikes!

I think the precision of area where someones ancestors are from is a bit weird. How can a test be that accurate? (assuming the information is correct)

£195 each

I can easily afford it and it was important to me.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 July 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
My thoughts & I emphasis "MY" that no-one can possibly connect us to donkeys years ago ancestors without the "supposed" ancestors DNA in front of them  ::)

Did they exhume those ancestors to find a link  ???

Considering DNA is fairly new in terms...............I would need to see proof.

Another of "MY" thoughts is.......................

What good is it if you/we have no paperwork to follow to prove it  ???

According to the bible we are all descended from Adam & Eve.......................& I think I have almost proved that as I have a Mary & Joseph at the top of my tree but unfortunately I don't have their parent's names  ;D ;D ;D

Is the company able to say which g or gg or ggg grandfather came from x or xx or xxx  ???

These companies must be rolling on the floor laughing in my opinion.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
This article might answer some questions if, like me, your first reaction was "why?" Unlike Chesya, it would appear some people are doing this for gain....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/12/us/12genes.html?ex=1150171200&en=d8257133be9c8168&ei=5070&_r=0
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Why don't you give the details of one or two of your grandparents on Rootschat and see if anyone on here can find out more about them?  People may have acces to information or particular experience that your family member didn't have, when he/she tried to find out more. 

If 4 people were born in UK, it seems most unlikely that there are no records of any of them.

I'd suggest your maternal grandmother first as you have her DNA results and she is the least likely to lead to your identity being revealed (being two surnames removed).
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway