Author Topic: Paget Halpen of Texas USA  (Read 1922 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paget Halpen of Texas USA
« on: Saturday 11 July 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
Paget Halpen of Texas
I am looking for information about Paget Halpen of Texas, USA, born about 1795, location unknown. Some events in his life have been recorded, as follows:
Paget Halpen, aged 29, was listed as a passenger on the schooner ‘Hope Mary Ann’ which left New Orleans, Louisiana and arrived in New York on 3.5.1824.  (He may have disembarked before New York). No birth place was shown, but he was a US citizen and a ‘shugar planter’, present and intended residence - New Orleans. The only other passengers were Wm. Leonard, 29, farmer, also of New Orleans, and Robt O’Reilly,16, planter, from Ireland.
A Paget Halpen next appears back in Louisiana. He was one of seven signatories to a public notice in  the Baton Rouge Gazette, of 17.3.1827.  It read: “Charles Ash Mix is declared a liar, swindler and a villain; beware of him.”
In the Orleans Parish Court Records, Louisiana (1813-1835), there was a case in which Ulick Wale was the plaintiff, and Paget Halpen was the defendant. No further details have been found so far.

In the adjoining territory of Texas on 16 March 1839, Paget Halpen was one of 28 men at a meeting to establish Houston’s first Episcopalian church. (From ‘Houston, the Unknown City’ 1991 by Marguerite Johnston). Then, in Sept. the same year his name is found on the tax list in the Texas Morning Star as owing $13.75 to the City of Houston.
He is also on a list of men claiming a state pension for having fought in the war to ‘free’ Texas- ‘Survivors of the Revolution which separated Texas from Mexico, 1835-42’. Texas had by then become an independent republic, and later joined the union.
P. Halpen was a passenger on the schooner 'Hornet' from Galveston, Texas, arriving New Orleans on 20.10.1840.
Later there are at least five entries in the Texas Land Titles Abstracts, from 1846 to 1856, recording his acquisition of a total of about 3000 acres of land ‘freed from Mexico’, and finally one for ‘the heirs of Paget Halpin’ in 1906.

Paget was recorded many times. Among other things he was a founding member of the Episcopalian (Anglican) Church in Houston, and he was an important landholder in Texas. I have written to the church but have received no reply. There are a number of Halpens to be found in Texas and nearby states, so I would guess that his descendants would be among them.

Can anybody add to our knowledge of Paget Halpen of Texas ?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Paget Halpen of Texas USA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello
There's a Halphen age 34 female from New Orleans traveling on her own to France 2.1.1834 on the Bolivar perhaps his wife.

Ciderdrinker

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 15 02:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. She may well have been his wife, the age is right. Perhaps she was French. I am sure he married, as he later had 'heirs'.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 16 00:10 GMT (UK) »
So far I have not mentioned the Irish connection. I believe that Paget was born in Ireland, and that we know his parents' names.
He was born in 1795. We have two Pagets in the family before him, and I believe that Paget (2) was his father.
There was a marriage of Paget Halpen and Margaret Delane on 10/5/1794 at St. James C of I. Dublin
who would be perfect candidates as the parents of Paget (3). In fact it would be a huge coincidence if they were not.
Does this ring any bells ?
Ken