Author Topic: Birth of Martha Jane Davies about 1877 - 1880  (Read 4961 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Martha Jane Davies about 1877 - 1880
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate I ordered has arrived and is the wrong one (again!)  :'(  This Marta Jane has a father called John Davies.

This is the second one I've tried for a Martha Jane born in Swansea.

I'm wondering now if even though she was born in Swansea she was one of the Martha Jane Davies' registered in Haverfordwest around 1880, as she was living with her grandparents in 1881 and no sign of her parents. It's possible I suppose that her parents died around the time she was born and she was taken to Robeston Wathan. Possibly even by one of her parents. If I could find the death certificates for them it might pin them down a bit.

Osprey - thanks again, I've checked your comments and so far you've found the same that I have.

I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and order some more of these birth certs - only five more to go! Unless anyone can come up with an alternative I haven't thought of.
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 July 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
have you tried ordering from the registrars in Swansea? That way you can specify name for father & they will only issue if it meets your info.

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/2502/Copy-certificates

You can do the same with the GRO site if you do not put the reference. But if it's one of the registrations that didn't make it to the GRO, that won't help.

I wouldn't have thought the Haverfordwest regs were likely as her place of birth is given as Swansea. If she was born in the Robeston Wathen area, the registration would show up as Narberth. There are these
Martha Jane Davies june qtr 1877 Narberth vol 11a pg 886
Martha Jane Davies march qtr 1878 Narberth vol 11 pg 848
Both of these can be accounted for on the census, one with father George, the other father Stephen.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 July 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey and thanks for the reply - so sorry not to get back to you sooner.

I had some new information from a family member to check out, so put off replying just in case she had answered my question, then forgot I hadn't replied. After you taking the time to help out I felt really bad when I realised, so many apologies. And her information didn't help at all, unfortunately, although it was nice of her to try.

I'm going to do as you suggest - I didn't realise that if I left the references off they would check the name of the father for me, so I would only end up paying for the correct certificate. The thought of paying £60-70 for a lot of paper that wouldn't help me was putting me off! So I'll do that now and come back to this when I (hopefully) have a bit more of a clue.
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland