Author Topic: Lewis MacLeay and Ann Munro  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewis MacLeay and Ann Munro
« on: Sunday 12 July 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
Am looking for information on the wife and children of Lewis McLeay/Macleay b 1817 in Poolewe Ross and Cromarty d. 1896 Ullapool R&C. He married Ann Munro 1841 in Lochbroom. I can't find a death for her at all and who were her parents? They had at least 3 children - Jane b cir 1842, Dolina b cir 1854 and Mary b 27 Feb 1857 all born Lochbroom.
Dolina married in Glasgow in 1878 to a John Taylor a joiner.
They were still there in 1901 with an adopted daughter also called Dolina. I can't find deaths for any of them and I can't seem to trace Mary and Jane. Can anyone help?
Thank you
Seoni

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis MacLeay and Ann Munro
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoni,

Like you, I cannot find a death for Ann Munro/McLeay.  Is Lewis recorded as a widower on his 1896 death cert?

I can see another daughter, Barbara in the 1861-71 census returns so these records from Scotland's People may be relevant.

Barbara McLeay married Roderick McLeod, a Shepherd, in 1868
Barbara MacLeod, other name MacLeay, died 1926 R&C

Jane McLeay, mother’s maiden name Munro, died 1862 R&C

Dolina Taylor, other name Munro, died 1939, Latheron, Caithness.  Recorded age was 83

brigau

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Br1gau
I have actually found out more about Dolina since I made the post that you replied to . Dolina Macleay married John Taylor a journeyman joiner on 1 Nov 1878 in Glasgow. John died on 2 May 1913 at Bouverie Street Port Glasgow. Dolina died 7 May 1914 at same address. Her son in law James Shields registered her death but put down the wrong parents names for her. Probably had no real idea about them. Dolina actually registered her father Lewis's death in 1896. Her mother was still alive at that time. Despite all my efforts I still can't trace Ann's death. It is a big mystery.I am still trying to trace what happened to Mary born in 1857.
Regards Seoni

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigau
Have managed to find out what happened to another daughter of Lewis Macleay and Ann Munro. Her name was Mary b 27 Feb 1857 d 5 Feb 1930 Strathoykel. She married David Ross a widower who was much older than her. He was born circa 1836 and died 3 Feb 1930 Strathoykel only 2 days before Mary. How sad. David was a shepherd. They married 19 Mar 1891 Kincardine. Lewis and Ann also had a son Donald b circa 1849. He was in the 1851 census with them at Little Strath Lochbroom but no sign of him in 1861. Possibly may have died before 1855. I am actually doing this family tree for a friend of mine but I also have McLeays in my family tree. Mine came from Poolewe near Gairloch. When I was researching mine I found that one of my McLeays was indexed in Scotlands People as McKay and another as McLary. Possibly that's why we can't find Ann. I wondered if she went back down to Glasgow with Dolina. What is your interest in the Macleays? I may have other info that might interest you.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Seoni

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
When I was researching mine I found that one of my McLeays was indexed in Scotlands People as McKay and another as McLary. Possibly that's why we can't find Ann.
Seoni

Hi Seoni,

If you contact SP re the wrong names on Index they will refund you  ;) You need to write all the details, cert. no, date, name etc.

Also, McLeay can sometimes be McLay  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have already realised that you will get credits refunded if you find a mistake in the index. There are just so many things that Macleay could be mistaken for that I cannot see how I am ever going to find Ann Munro or Macleay. The funny thing is i can't find her under the name Munro either. It would cost a fortune to look at all the death certs that come up in Scotlands People for Ann Munro.
Seoni