Author Topic: Rose, Catherine, Mary Gillen/Gillan  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Zebrakat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose, Catherine, Mary Gillen/Gillan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
Firstly I would like the thank the people for all their help to date. I will just want to explain how important this is to me and why your contributions are extremely helpful . Without boring you with all the details, I have a rare cancer and I am doing 4 family trees, 2 for my husband and 2 for my family. My husband FT is  my priority as they are a gift from me to him and then I will concentrate on mine, if my illness will allow me. I have been searching the family trees for about 12 months and found this site just recently, whilst doing some additional research. In the short time I have been on here, your help has been invaluable and gave me a some additional info to continue my  research.

Some previous research prior to Laurance/Laurence/Lawrence

Samuel Gillan born 1876 in Rutherglen

His parents John Gillan - Ann Gillan nee McCoubray
M 10 June 1869
Kilmarnock

John was my brick wall for a while until I learned from another researcher that he was married previously to Jane Thomson in Irvine, Ayr 1863

John's parents Lawrence Gillan - Margaret Gillan Nee Glancie/Glancy

Lawrence/Laurance then became my brick wall until a researcher on this site gave me the info that I needed. I did located L death cert on SP. He died in Auchinleck in 1865 and the info corresponds with previous family info. His wife is noted as Margaret, and his son John reported the death.

On the death cert it says Lawrence/Laurance Parents are John Gillan/Gillen and Mary Roonie/Rooney both deceased.

John's parents were born in Ireland, where I don't know yet? however in the 1851 & 1861 census it lists the same 3 sons, no John.

Census 1861
Lawrence 45 born in Ireland
Margaret 42 born in Ireland
Children
James 17 Rutherglen
Thomas 15 Rutherglen
William 11 Rutherglen

Census 1841
Lawrence 30
Margaret 28
Children
John 9
Peter 5
Catherine 3
Margaret 1

All born in Ireland.

I have been researching the irish records and I found a family of Gillen's in the Census 1821

John 45
Mary 43
Catherine 8
Mary 6
Rose 2

(no Lawrence)

I think this may be the same family so that's the reason behind my question, I want to confirm the info or eliminate this info and continue to look for John & Mary Gillan/Gillen.

Gillan/Gillon Rutherglen, Cambuslang
Gillan/Gillon Ayrshire
Gillan/Gillon Ireland
Curle Glasgow
McCarthy Cork/Waterford
Murphy Cork/Waterford
Clifford Kerry/Tipperary/Limerick
Ryan Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 July 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Now that we know exactly what you started with, what you are looking for and what you've found along the way it might be easier to help you.

The most important thing in Irish research is location (townland, parish, county).

Here's a link to the 1821 census entry you found- Buttersbridg townland, Castleterra D.E.D., Co. Cavan:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1821/Cavan/Castleterra/Buttersbridge/19/

The Catholic Parish Registers just came online last week and those for Castletara Parish are extensive- baptisms starting in 1763 but stopping in 1809, then 1862-1881; marriages 1763-1793, 1808-1809. So, there may, or may not be records online (or surviving) to help.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0822
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Zebrakat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Now that we know exactly what you started with, what you are looking for and what you've found along the way it might be easier to help you.

The most important thing in Irish research is location (townland, parish, county).

Here's a link to the 1821 census entry you found- Buttersbridg townland, Castleterra D.E.D., Co. Cavan:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1821/Cavan/Castleterra/Buttersbridge/19/

The Catholic Parish Registers just came online last week and those for Castletara Parish are extensive- baptisms starting in 1763 but stopping in 1809, then 1862-1881; marriages 1763-1793, 1808-1809. So, there may, or may not be records online (or surviving) to help.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0822

Thank you so much, is this the only way to determine if she is a Rooney or not? because that seems the only way that I can continue the tree if that is confirmed. (Then I know I have the right family)
Gillan/Gillon Rutherglen, Cambuslang
Gillan/Gillon Ayrshire
Gillan/Gillon Ireland
Curle Glasgow
McCarthy Cork/Waterford
Murphy Cork/Waterford
Clifford Kerry/Tipperary/Limerick
Ryan Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Only fragments of the 1821 (and other 19th century census records) survives so it's only a slim chance that this family in Co. Cavan is the correct one (more than a bit worrying that there's not a Laurence in the household when your Laurence was only about 11 years old.)

You mentioned Co. Donegal earlier but until you have a better idea of parish it's really going to be a wild goose chase. The best you can probably hope for at the minute is to check those Cavan parish records to see if you can confirm the maiden name of John's wife.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!