Author Topic: James HAYTER born 1756/57  (Read 2205 times)

Offline handyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James HAYTER born 1756/57
« on: Monday 13 July 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
For a number of years I have been trying to trace James HAYTER who was over the border in Gillingham, Dorset at the time of his marriage to Catherine LEAR in 1784. He settled and died in Gillingham and his age at death, if that can be relied on, would indicate that he was born in 1756/57.  Having explored many avenues in Dorset, I am wondering if he was born over the border in Wiltshire.  I know that there were numerous HAYTER families about at the time and I wondered if anyone has come across this particular James HAYTER. ;D

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: James HAYTER born 1756/57
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Did your James name Children Franciis or Hannah?

F/S has;
James HAITER Christened  24 June 1758, Urchfont, Wiltshire  To FRANCIS/HANNAH

Also a James HATTER,  2 July 1756, Churton, Wiltshire to THOMAS/MARY

Others may be able to help more  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline handyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish, yes I am also aware to check children's names as they often do perpetuate down through the line.  My James named his first son William, who may or may not have been named after his father, then James, from whom I am descended, and then Dinah.  The other interesting fact is that one of the witnesses at his marriage was a Thomas HAYTER.  I have assumed that he would probably be a brother and I also have not traced him. I will look into the two baptisms you gave me, thanks again. :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
Good luck with those Christenings.
Hopefully someone else can find other possibles for you :),
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)