Author Topic: Faraway aka Plas Faraway, Llandegla  (Read 1804 times)

Offline dmjones

• RootsChat Member
  • A little courtesy can win a lot of respect.
    • View Profile
Faraway aka Plas Faraway, Llandegla
« on: Monday 13 July 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for the occupants of Faraway (house or farm) around the mid 1800’s. The property still exists today and is just beyond Pentre Isaf on the Hafod Bilston track which runs from Pentre Bwlch to The Plough. At the beginning of the last century Captain Best lived there (1903 when it was known as Plas Faraway). In 1909 a Miss Dewhurst of Faraway donated an Altar Service book to Llandegla Parish Church. I am guessing that it was part of the Bodidris Estate. Surprisingly, there is no mention of it in the millennium publication: “Llandegla Then and Now”. I would be interested if anyone has information about earlier occupants.
David J   
Jones, Lewis, Jandrell, George, Price, Lloyd, Cupper (Cuper), Vaughan, Grant, Wheldon

Denbighshire, Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Radnor, Powys, NZ, North Yorks

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Faraway aka Plas Faraway, Llandegla
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
I can find Faraway as described on this map

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102181014

On the previous map in this series the property appears to be called Pen(y)Cae

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102181017

.In the 1851 census this is occupied by Hugh and Margaret Roberts.From 1861 to 1891 it looks as if Margaret has re married to a Thomas Jones.
I will look for the property in the 1901 census.There are a number of references to a Captain Best living at Plas yn Vivod at this time.

Regards
Roger

Offline dmjones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger, thanks for the info. I've just looked at "old Maps" and it also has it as Pen y Cae.
I had no date reference, just a mention in an old letter about "cousin Louisa at Faraway". I know she wasn't linked to Cpt Best or the Dewhursts, so it seems I need to be looking post 1909.
Thanks
David J 
Jones, Lewis, Jandrell, George, Price, Lloyd, Cupper (Cuper), Vaughan, Grant, Wheldon

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 census Pen y Cae is occupied by a Maria Evans(aged 56) and her son John H(aged 16).

Regards
Roger

Offline Jules11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
My three elderly aunties lived at Faraway - sisters Lou (the one mentioned in the letter - lovely little lady she was - my favourite!), Emily and Edith.  I used to visit them often.  How well did your research go?  I have one aunty left who may be able to help - sadly my father passed away in 2012 and his older sister a few years earlier. 

Offline dmjones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Faraway aka Plas Faraway, Llandegla "Completed"
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 February 16 18:02 GMT (UK) »
The three sisters Louisa, Emily and Edith Roberts of Faraway are listed in "Llandegla circa 1945-50" by Alun Williams (very useful info about the people of the district, the link is too long to put on here, so just Google it). Thanks for your help everyone.
David J