Author Topic: Can I link a family tree to Elizabeth Sherrard nee Reilly  (Read 2148 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I link a family tree to Elizabeth Sherrard nee Reilly
« on: Monday 13 July 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
While researching William Reilly, my great grandfather I found a number of family trees in Ancestry.co.UK that looked as if they had links to his  first wife's family, her name was Elizabeth Sherrard.  Their marriage certificate records, Date of Marriage: 21-Jun-1888 Parish / District: CUMBER UPPER County: Co. Derry 1888. Elizabeth's address is Derry. William's address is Kincull,  (Kilculmagrandel). Their father's names were recorded as Matthew Sherrard and James Reilly. The father's occupations were labourers. The witnesses were William Whiteside & Mary Jane Sherrard possible a sister of Elizabeth's.  That is the only evidence I have they may be related.

In the family trees in ancestry the parents Mathew and Nancy Sherrard (nee Reilly) have 10 children. One is Elizabeth and her older sister is Mary Jane.  On Elizabeth's death cert she is recorded as   28 years of age born in 1861.  In the family tree her birth is recorded as 25 May 1858, which is only 3 years out.
http://trees.ancestry.co.UK/pt/ViewRecordRedir.aspx?tid=737 69085&pid=40281853686&dbid=2572&rpid=2472789&nam=Elizabeth%2bSherrard&pg=32768&pgpl=pid

Slaughtmanus where a lot of   Sherrards came from is not far from Kilculmagrandel where my grandfather’s family came from.   One is in Cumber lower and one in Cumber upper.
Elizabeth died in 1889 shortly after the birth of her first son James Reilly; he was brought up by Nancy Reilly.  Nancy Reilly was present at Elizabeth’s death in 1889. Her death certificate records her as - sister in law to the deceased, I presume she was William’s sister.

Reg details  No. D/1889/170/1020/13/151   District Londonderry: Sub-district Waterside Urban: Deceased name(s) Elizabeth Reilly : Female : Married : 
http://trees.ancestry.co.UK/pt/ViewRecordRedir.aspx?tid=73769085&pid=40281853686&dbid=2534&rpid=3269494&nam=Elizabeth%2bSherrard&pg=32768&pgpl=pid

Elizabeth was buried on the 9 Nov  1889
•Burial  9 Nov 1889
Kincull, Parish Feeny, County Derry, Ireland
Date of death 27th October 1889 : Cause of Death Acute Nephritis (can not decipher word) 3 days certified Present at death : Nancy Reilly sister-in-law Address at death Kincull : Occupation of husband - wife of a labourer.

I think William's sister Nancy Reilly is not the same  Nancy Reilly who married Mathew Sherrard. Although William's sister was present at Elizabeth's death and brought up her son James. And James name was on Nancy Reilly's death certificate when she died in 1907 a spinster and James is recorded as the nephew.

Any help with linking the two or ruling out the Sherrards from Slaughtmanus  would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

The family was either Presbyterian or C of I.
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can I link a family tree to Elizabeth Sherrard nee Reilly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Try searching the RC records that have just come on line, free, to verify anything!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can I link a family tree to Elizabeth Sherrard nee Reilly
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
No need to start a new topic since you've already a rather long one already- and unless you have an Ancestry subscription the links don't work.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700854.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!