Author Topic: Isabella Mooney b. 1893  (Read 4448 times)

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Mooney b. 1893
« on: Monday 13 July 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Isabella Mooney was born at 76, Church Street, Dumbarton on 31st Mar 1893. Her family moved to Ireland and with her parents Daniel and Jessica they had two other children and settled in Drogheda. Isabella met and married James Campbell Cameron from Glasgow in Ireland and they married in 1916. They had one son Alan James Campbell Cameron in 1921 and soon after they split up and Alan was adopted by an aunt.

There has been no information available as to where either James or Isabella went to, I'm really hoping that there is a possibility that she returned to her native Scotland, and in particular Dunbarton where she was born.

If anyone can help, with the whereabouts of either James or Isabella, it would be appreciated so much

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Mooney b. 1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked in Scottish records and between 1921-1980 there are 18 deaths for women named Isabella other name Mooney born 1893 with none giving previous name of Cameron and none in Dunbarton. There are quite a few Isabella Camerons between 1921-1930 immigrating to the US. Do you know if and when her son Alan married as his marriage cert may say whether or not she was deceased at the time of his marriage. Also, would you know if her son had any contact with his mother or father after he was adopted by the aunt? Lastly, have you checked Isabella's siblings and parents as it may provide a clue to her whereabouts. Without even the smallest hint, it may be like looking for a needle in a haystack. If you fnd anything else let me know and I will look further. Kim

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 06:30 BST (UK) »
Kim, thank you for your interest and reply. It has been suggested to me recently that since Isabella moved to Ireland before the age of 8yrs old, she would have no interest nor recollection of Scotland to bring her back there, always a thought.

I have spoken to family relatives and nobody knows anything about her other than, that her parents didn't get on and separated. Alan was brought up in Derry from the age of 6 so that would be around 1927-28.

I will try finding a marriage certificate for Alan but I do know that he never spoke about his parents. I do know that some other family members moved to Canada and maybe she did too. Sometimes I wonder if she simply stayed in Drogheda. Sorry but I know nothing more.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
This morning I ordered a marriage certificate and I do recall his daughter saying that neither of his parents attended the wedding. Alan was a paratrooper who was a POW in Stalag IX-B during WW2 and  spoke very little upon being discharged from the army.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
If the son Alan married in Northern Ireland, Ireland, England or Wales the marriage certificate will only list name & occupation of father (and may or may not indicate if father was deceased). If Alan had had no contact with his father for many years he may not have known his whereabouts or if father was still alive.

Do you have a date of birth for James Campbell Cameron?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
James Campbell Cameron was born 29/03/1886 in Kinning Park, Glasgow and was an iron moulder by trade. Alan married in Tameside, Cheshire. It really is a sad story but I have one photograph of Alan and on the back it reads 'To Dear Daddy, Alan xx'. He appears to be around 8-9 years old in the picture and doesn't mention his mother Isabella.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
soon after they split up and Alan was adopted by an aunt.
Which side of the family was this aunt from?

Since you mention a photo sent to the father I'm wondering if there was any contact at all with Mooney side of the family after split?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
Alan was brought up by his aunt Rosina Mooney who had married James Donnelly and was living in Derry. Interestingly, although the photograph was written on and meant for his father, I don't imagine it every was posted because it was found in the house that he lived in.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
I received a copy of Alans marriage certificate today. They married 27th May 1944 and his father James Campbell Cameron was recorded as 'deceased'. The means that he died between the years 1921 (year of marriage) and 1944. His mother isn't mentioned.

Incidently, his occupation was RAF 'paratrooper' and it reads Knossington, Oakham. Is this an army base?