Author Topic: Mitchell family in Plumstead, Kent - 1861  (Read 5071 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family in Plumstead, Kent - 1861
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
If anyone is still interested in following this somewhat tangled web, I have now followed up the family from the other direction and discovered that the Sarah Mitchell in my greatx3 uncle Philip Miller's house in the 1851, described as 'cousin' is not as I thought related via Philip's mother, another Sarah Mitchell.....

The young Sarah is the daughter of Samuel Francis Mitchell and Elizabeth Banks Hopgood Mitchell.  Elizabeth Banks Hopgood is Philip Miller's wife, Mary Ann Jenner's cousin.

And the Philadelphia "Mitchell" in Samuel Francis Mitchell's house in the 1841 is actually Philadelphia Simmons Jenner, Mary Ann Jenner's sister. 

Very fortunately all these people have interesting first and middle names, so I've been able to track them down.

Await seeing the marriage certificate of Samuel Francis Mitchell......you never know, there could still be a link with my greatx4 grandmother Sarah Mitchell.

Added:  I have found Philip Miller and Mary Ann Jenner Miller as witnesses to various marriages of the Jenner/Hopgood families, so they were all very much linked in South London at the time.  Just goes to show that it is worthwhile following up the bylines, isn't it  :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family in Plumstead, Kent - 1861
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 July 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Update to this one

I have received Samuel Francis Mitchell/Elizabeth Banks Hopgood's 1838 marriage certificate.

He is shown as Samuel Francis Mitchell, of full age (oh thanks  >:() a bachelor, a butcher, living in Charlton, father SAMUEL MITCHELL also a butcher

She is shown as Elizabeth Banks Hopgood, of full age, spinster, father John Hopgood a labourer (this is not correct, John Hopgood is her grandfather.  She was baptised quite clearly with no father shown)

I have had a look for a Samuel Mitchell, butcher, born c 1780/90 and whilst there are a few, some as far away as Yorkshire, none in the 1841 or later I can see, seem to be butchers.

I am therefore no closer to seeing whether there is a connection between this Mitchell family and that of my great x 4 grandmother, Sarah Mitchell, wife of Philip Miller snr of Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire (1790-1864).

If Samuel Francis vanishes from sight after the 1841, can anyone help me find Elizabeth Banks Hopgood Mitchell after her appearance in the 1851, still married?  Her dates are 1813 Eltham - ?

Any help very gratefully received.  I have tried to trace all the helpfully named Hogood family just to see if Elizabeth or Samuel Francis pop up anywhere, but no success in seeing them yet.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex