Author Topic: Joseph Morris Rochdale, Lancashire, England  (Read 6879 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Morris Rochdale, Lancashire, England
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 July 15 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria,

That's why I was looking in the censuses for Mary. At first Mo and I thought she had died but we know now she emigrated so she should be around somewhere.
Unfortunately, there are no workhouse records for 1851 for young Mary's time there so it does look as though the deaths for John Morris in Newport should be investigated to see if one is him.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Heywood,

I agree the children could have been out on their own because John Morris died, but I looked through the 1851 census (under the assumption that John Morris died in 1846 or 1848) for Mary Gallagher Morris by herself and came up dry as well. The other possibility is that the children could  have left home because Mary Gallagher Morris had more children I have seen on the census where new children come into the family and the older children go find work, get married or if too young end up with other family members. Mary Gallagher Morris was born in 1806 according to the 1841 census so she was 35 in 1841 and 36 when my great, great, grandmother Mary Morris Crowe was born in 1842; so it is very possible she had more children and the information on their 1851 census is not correct, so either way I've got more digging to do.

Thanks for the help!    Maria

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 02:57 BST (UK) »
Mo,

I tried to locate those deaths for John Morris in 1846 and 1848 Newport, Shropshire, England, but I haven't been able to locate them on Ancestry.com or familysearch.org. I would appreciate any further information you can provide on them; so I can nail down whether John Morris died in 1846 or 1848.

Thanks!   Maria

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria,

The deaths are in the civil indexes and at that time, ages were not given. You would need to purchase a certificate to check.

John Morris December quarter 1846 Newport, Shropshire vol 18 page 110

John Morris December quarter 1848 Newport, Shropshire vol 18 page 105

Regards
Heywood

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 04:32 BST (UK) »
Heywood,

Thanks for the information I'll order them both and see what I come up with!

Maria

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
Good luck!
I do hope there is some success.

Heywood

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have finally had sometime to look at John Morris and Mary Gallagher again and have made some progress on John Morris and Mary Gallagher. I have confirmed that the marriage on 13 Sept 1824 in Rochdale, Lancashire, England is their marriage.

There are the 2 documents regarding the marriage and they are both on ancestry.com

1) Lancashire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns 1754-1936

2) Manchester, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns 1754-1930

What I found in looking at the Original Register pages and specifically the “First Letter” of Mary’s last name it appears to be the letter “G” as there is a space between it and the second letter of her last name which is an “a”. However; looking at where it says Aspinall Curate the “C” in curate attaches directly to the second letter which is “u” in curate which is why I believe the first letter in Mary’s last name and the first letter in curate are NOT the same letter; I believe we are looking at a “G” in Mary’s last name and a “C” in curate. I also believe Aspinall spelled Mary’s last name Gallagher the way it sounds Gall-a-gha which is why there is NO “n” on the end of the name as in Callaghan.

I have looked at quite a few English marriages for people named Callahan, Collahan, and Callaghan NONE of them is missing an “n” which leads me to believe that Mary's last name DID NOT have an "n" at the end of it; therefore, it was never "missing."  So I have a marriage in Rochdale, 1841 census in Newport, Shropshire, children for Joseph and Clarissa & children for John and Mary. I need to track death certificates down for Joseph Morris, Clarissa Morris (Wilkinson), and John Morris, and keep digging for the 1851, 1861, and 1871 census for Mary Gallagher Morris.

Maria