Author Topic: Currys of Banagher, Kings County  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Currys of Banagher, Kings County
« on: Tuesday 14 July 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have traced a Curry family (of Liverpool) to Banagher in Kings County Ireland.
The Head of the family is Mathew Curry and his wife is Mary. They have two children Ann and John.
Mathew was born about 1795. It would appear they came to Liverpool in the 1850s as they  first appear in the 1861 census where Mathew is shown as a "pensioner" aged 66.
Are there any records I can check for his marriage to Mary or any information about him.

Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Currys of Banagher, Kings County
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
What religion were they?

If they were Catholic, you can check to see what parish registers exist (scanned images added last week)- http://registers.nli.ie
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Currys of Banagher, Kings County
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
I am not sure of the religion. The son, John Curry, was married in a CoE Church in Liverpool but that does not mean they were not Catholic as many Catholics married in this particular church because they did not need a registrar.
I have looked through the relevant birth years in the link you provided for his and his sister's baptism but cannot even find a Curry in 1833 and 1834.
I do not usually research Ireland (bit of a problem as there are one or two Irish in Liverpool) so I will finish the link back with their first appearance in the English census.

Thanks again

Bentham