Author Topic: What website for Irish Family History Research?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline dptb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What website for Irish Family History Research?
« on: Tuesday 14 July 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am doing a lot of research in Ireland, as both sides of my family came from there originally.  I just thought Id ask if anyone has any preference for the choice of companies best suited for Ireland, Ancestry, Rootsireland etc.  I have a subscription with Ancestry at the moment but it does not cover Ireland unless you take out the worldwide subscription.  I am prepared to do that but thought I would get opinions from yourselves first about alternatives.

Has anyone any thoughts  ?

Diane

Moderator Comment: Title updated.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RESEARCH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Free to search are www.irishgenealogy.ie which now has civil records and is quite good; it only has limited baptism records

The newly created register of microfilmed parish records are at http://registers.nli.ie/
These are really helpful but a tedious slog through; also you have to know exactly where you need to look and the approx. time scale

For more this is a link to a comprehensive list of sites available

I have found that you need a combination of paid sites to supplement these -

findmypast.ie isn't great for marriages as once you enter a possible maiden name it doesn't seem to give any results but is great for prison and institution records which can yield great information from Police, victims, perpetrators, next-of-kin, etc.

ancestry.co.uk is good for all searching but you need to be creative with your spelling as they seem to have a strange method of ordering results e.g. Kearney spelt Kearny will be really far down the line even if the other searching data is correct such as DoB, spouse, etc.; it is very good for seeing other public trees for clues

rootsireland.ie has a huge number of transcription of parish records available, however they are transcriptions and contain errors. You need to be creative again in your searching! Due to bad handwriting and damaged documents the transcribers must have struggled with names and added to this low literary meant that names weren't always spelt as we'd now expect

I'm not sure my observations will be truly helpful but what also may help is if you post about who you have found to date; someone here may find out more information for you and let you know where which could guide you to the best relevant sources

Not forgetting http://www.genealogylaois.com/
Happy Hunting!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Some of this may overlap with the above reply but most of us probably use a combination of online resources which vary according to exactly what we are looking for at the time :)

There are lots of FREE Irish resources online which can give amazing results or leads.
Family Search has civil registration list (up to 1958), extracted Irish births (1864-c1881), prison registers index and lots more-
     https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084
Census records- not just 1901 and 1911 (now some 1841, 1851 bits for Queens Co.) www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Catholic Parish Registers- just launched last week and well worth the time and effort it takes to look through the pages registers.nli.ie
Will Calendars- http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/index.jsp
LAOIS RESOURCES (stickied at top of this board) www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=392244.0
IRISH RESOURCES (also here on RC)- www.rootschat.com/forum/ireland-resources
and don't forget Google- use the Irish version www.google.ie

There isn't a lot of Irish information on Ancestry so rather than subscribing check your local library to see if they subscribe, keep a running list of queries/items to check and then go there to find information.
Other paid databases often let you do some free searching so use them to best advantage to extract as much detail as possible.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

You have posted this question on the Laois board as opposed to the General board.

Do you have a family tree query re Laois that you would like to post ?

I find that the time period that you are looking for details on is sometimes what dictates the best site to use.

On another board we were talking about something similar the other day and most were of the opinion that, if you are doing a lot of research in Ireland you will pretty much use ALL the sites at any given time.

They all have their strong & weak points.

Tara

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline dptb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your very useful advice.  I now have a pretty good idea what sites yield which information.

Tara,  my research points to Laois at the moment and I am now waiting on cents I have sent for which should clarify things quite a bit, hopefully!  but, no doubt, I shall be asking for advice again in the future !

Diane

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
...but you could ask now, see what names etc turn up!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
...but you could ask now, see what names etc turn up!

or she could wait until the certificates arrive and then ask for any help if needed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dptb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
Maybe someone can help whilst I wait for the certificates to arrive.

I have entablished that my grandfather was Jeremiah (Jerry) Byrne born in 1873 in Abbeylieux, Laois.  His father was also Jeremiah Byrne.  Grandad died of TB in Edenderry in 1908.  I have found a Jeremiah Byrne married to Mary Curran whose 5th child was Jeremiah Byrne born 1875 ? in Kilkenny??  I am trying to establish if this is my grandfather.  I am certain of his birth place because it was on his army service record.  He served with the Royal Dublin Fusilliers 1893-1905.  he signed up at Naas Kildare on 10.1.1893.  I believe Jeremiah Byrne and Mary Curran were married in 1862 in Kilkenny but I cant find the record dispite having gone through the new NLI records.

has anyone any suggestions please ?

Diane