Author Topic: Benjamin WILES  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Thunder Monkey

• RootsChat Member
  • ....ONWARD TO THE STARS !!!....
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin WILES
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
There is another WILES Couple were Baptising St George, Great Bromley in the same time-frame;

JOHN, 12 April 1741
ELIZ, 30 Oct 1743
SARAH, 12 April 1747
ELIZABETH, 8 April 1750
Parents ROBT/SARAH or Robert/Sarah (mostly as Robt)

Robert WILES of Great Bromley married Sarah BARKER, 21 Mar 1740/41, Holy Trinity, Colchester, Essex

A ROBERT Wiles was Buried Great Bromley, 17 Jan 1771

Trish :)

Thank you Trish.  The marriage of Sarah Barker is interesting!  As stated in an earlier post, a Sarah Barker married my Ben but it lists her as single.  They married in 1755.  However, your Sarah Barker married early and Robt died 1771... possibly divorced or a completely different Sarah Barker  ???
Names that I am Very Interested in:
** BUTCHER ** (Essex)
LONG, JACOBS & CARDY (Essex)
BUTCHER (Kent)
LEWIS (Shropshire/Shrewsbury/Montgomeryshire)
BRAGG (London/Surrey)
GODDEN (Middlesex/Berkshire)
PRITCHARD (West Midlands)
JACKSON (West Midlands/Shropshire)
Drop me a PM if ya have any details, info or queries!

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 September 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Thunder Monkey,

We must be related because Benjamin Wiles is my 7 x gt-grandfather (I'm descended from his daughter Ruth, who married George Jaggard). (and I transcribed the Gt Bromley registers for FreeREG because of them!).

I think what will help is finding the marriage of Benjamin and Ruth but I just haven't come across it yet. What might give us a clue is the marriage at St. Mary's-at-the-Walls in Colchester on 15 November 1728 (it comes up in Boyd's), between Benjamin Wiles and Elizabeth Moore. Alas, it doesn't tell us where they were from. Blast.

There's another Benjamin Wiles marriage in Ipswich in 1735, to Isabell Allet, and one in Westminster (this is a vague LDS one by the looks of it...) in 1727 to Rebecca Holliock.

The Hearth Tax 1670 throws up Robert Wiles in Gt Bromley and William Wiles in Frating. It's possible our Benj had family from Gt Bromley but he'd been born elsewhere and for whatever reason moved to Gt Bromley because of the family connection. Perhaps....

Offline Thunder Monkey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Helvissa,

Thank you for your reply and apologies for the delay in replying, I had a short-notice deployment.

Benjamin Wiles is indeed my 7th Gt-GF too... and I as well am descended from Ruth.

Ruth Wiles >John Jaggard > Maria Jaggard > Keziah Warner > Annie Jacobs > Harry Butcher >>> onwards through the Butchers to me ;)

I'm glad it's not only me that is stuck on this line, I thought I was doing so well until I hit that 'brickwall' a few years ago.

Butch

** BUTCHER ** (Essex)
BUTCHER (Kent)
BRAGG (London/Surrey)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
I'm:

Benjamin Wiles and Ruth *mystery woman*
> George Jaggard & Ruth Wiles
> John Field & Mary Jaggard (Great Bromley/Colchester - John was born in Mendlesham in Suffolk)
> James Field & Sarah Ann Ward (Brightlingsea)
> Henry James Field & Jane Elizabeth Nicholls (Brightlingsea)
> Henry William Field & Sarah Eliza Savage (Brightlingsea)
> my gt-grandmother

Benjamin and Ruth are one of the people in my tree that I keep checking on periodically, hoping that their marriage has gone online *somewhere*!

Offline Thunder Monkey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 September 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
 ;D I'm the same, the Wiles line is one of about 6 that I regularly check as it was going so well up until Ben and Ruth.

Boyd's, LDS and Hearth Tax records certainly detail a few Wiles'... I guess the wait and the search continues.

Still loving your website ;)
** BUTCHER ** (Essex)
BUTCHER (Kent)
BRAGG (London/Surrey)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 September 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Great! ;)

PS: I should possibly point out that the lady in my userpic is my gt-grandmother, so Benjamin and Ruth are her 3 x gt-grandparents.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 November 15 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I don't kno whow idespread a name Wiles was ... but I've got Wiles ancestors from the Huntingdonshire / Northamptonshire / Bedfordshire border area.

I hit a bit of a brickwall with them, but I THINK I've broken it down ... or at least, I've got a working hypothesis that William EYLES, born in Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, was orphaned at the age of 5, went to London (possibly as an apprentice?), was married at St Martin in the Fields as William WILES, and then returned to his home area. I certainly find him an dhis wife in the early censuses in Huntingdonshire, one born in Sharnbrook, the other born in London (although, unhelpfully, between successive centuries the entries switch as to which one was born where ... probably a transcription error, but irritating none the less!).

Also, interestingly, I think that my Eyles / Wiles line were nonconformists ... and your line appears to have a Keziah in it which hints at nonconformity, too.

Probbaly unconnected Wiles lines ... but I am pretty confident that the name has been corrupted from Eyles (or sometimes Eyels) to Wiles (probably during the childhood of the younf orphan) and it may be that you will find something similar has happened in your line. Have you tried searching for Eyles / Eyels?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me mentioning this but I think the surname Wiles needs to be treated with a smidgen of caution, I have seen the surname Willis spelled that way in Essex PRs when researching my Willis line.

Regards and good luck with your research.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 06:55 GMT (UK) »
St George, Great Bromley Parish Records
27 December 1771, Benjamin Wiles was buried, no age given 

5 March 1768, Sarah wife of Benjamin Wiles was buried