Author Topic: Masters of Southampton - Dead End  (Read 5998 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Southampton - Dead End
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 August 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has a burial of an Elizabeth Gandy on 5 Jan 1837 age 82, which would make her year of birth around 1755. As she died so early in the year, chances are she hadn't had her birthday that year and year of birth was actually 1754, which fits with age of Elizabeth Blow Masters. A pity she died a few months before registration began.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 August 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

I've no idea why on knightroots the father is given as Richard when the settlement examination says she is the daughter of Nicholas and Christian. I'll have to get down HRO again and have a look in to that.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet purely because there are so many Masters in and around Brockenhurst from the 1600s onwards, I've noticed names being repeated quite a lot so I've no way of differentiating them yet.

I want to confirm if my William the blacksmith is indeed the son of Elizabeth Blow Masters/Betty Blowmaster/Elizabeth Blowmasters before I start delving properly in to the New Forest!

Thanks for the burial information. I don't have a date, but there is a baptism record for 1754 which I will look in to. Yeah, shame she did, that could have been helpful.

I just need to find that definitive piece of evidence! Thank you to you, and the other people on her, for your help, greatly appreciated.
Russell
Masters, Edwards, Gray, Fulthorpe, Herron, Zacks/Zaks/Sacks, Stadler, Palm

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 August 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Knightsroots baptism again, the father of the child in the entry below Elizabeth Blow Masters is also Richard, I wonder if the transcriber read the wrong line. Some of the old registers are written with lines so close and with very small writing, so it can easily be done. One transcription of my 2 x great grandfathers baptism gave him a previously unknown middle name which looked like a surname. Which made me think I had his mother's maiden name wrong. But when I managed to get to see the original image, his "middle name" was actually the surname of the child on the line below. Another possibility is that the clerk could have made an error, particularly if there was a delay in writing up the records. Or the transcriber used the Bishop's Transcript as their record source and an error crept in when the BT was made from the original register. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 August 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, quite possible that it is simply a mistake. I'll get over the HRO at some point to confirm. Looking at some of the records yesterday, I know what you mean. Some are an absolute mess!! I bet that was frustrating for you!

Also on that same knightroots list, there is a William Blow born to John Collis in 1722. Coincidence I wonder?

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 August 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
I've found a baptism for a Wiliiam Masters   31 Jan 1784  s of William and Edith Southampon All Saints

Williiam Masters married Edith Beere  13 Nov 1782  All Saints Southampton
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
I've found a baptism for a Wiliiam Masters   31 Jan 1784  s of William and Edith Southampon All Saints

Williiam Masters married Edith Beere  13 Nov 1782  All Saints Southampton

Thank you  :)